Chapter 2

I walked the few blocks to Jabari’s school. He was sitting outside with his teacher, and a few other students waiting on me. 

“Free!” Jabari squealed excitedly as he jumped up. 

“Hey Jabari” I said. 

“Free, I had a really great day today” Jabari said  as he put on his backpack, and picked up his books. 

“That’s good Jabari” I said. 

“Free” someone said. 

I looked around, and Jabari’s teacher approached. 

“Yes ma’am” I said. 

“Hi I’m Mrs. Winston Jabari’s after school tutor” she smiled extending her hand. 

“I’m Free, Jabari’s older sister” I said shaking her hand.  The woman looked rather young. She had red hair, big grass green eyes, and milky white smooth, flawless skin.  She had her hair pinned back, and wore a clean crisp white button down shirt, and black slacks with flats. 

“Very nice to meet you, Jabari talks about you a lot. ” Mrs. Winston said. 

“I’ve heard” I said. 

“So I just wanted to let you know, that Jabari is really excelling quite quickly in his academics, and today we received the results for a exam we had a few weeks ago, and I’m very happy to let you know. Jabari had the overall highest score in Math, Reading, and Science in the entire school” Mrs. Winston said. 

“Wow, that’s huge. Good job man” I said giving Jabari a high five. 

Jabari smiled proudly. 

“Yes, and like I said he’s excelling quite quickly. I hope that you keep working with him, and are very proud of him” Mrs. Winston said. 

“I will, and I am. Thank you Mrs. Winston” I said. 

“Alright, well Jabari, I’ll see you in the morning, and have great evening both of you” Mrs. Winston said. 

“Same to you” I said then we began to walk away. 

“That’s really great Jabari, good job” I said. 

“Thank you Free. Wait till I tell mommy that, she’ll be so happy about huh Free?” Jabari said. 

“She sure will” I said. 

“I had a great day today Free. We got recess today Free, I played with my friends. And in science I learned about photosynthesis, and the biology of plants. And in math I did long division, and it was great. Then we had reading time. And guess what Free, it was my turn to read a chapter. And I read to the whole class Free, and my teacher said I read really well. Isn’t that great Free” Jabari said excitedly. 

“Yeah man, that’s awesome. I’m glad you had a great day Jabari” I said. 

“Me too Free. How was your day?”  Jabari said. 

“It was good. I had a good day” I said. 

“Did you see Keke” Jabari smiled. 

“Yeah I did” I said. 

“How is she?” Jabari said a little too interested. Mind you, my brother had the biggest crush on Keke ever.  Every time he saw her, he’d start flirting with her. All he did was smile around her. 

“She’s fine Jabari. Why?” I said. 

“Just asking, ya know like to make sure my girl’s alright” Jabari smiled.