Chapter Five

"A penny for my thoughts; I'll sell them for a dollar. They're worth so much more after I'm a goner. And maybe then you'll hear the words I've been singing. Funny when you're dead how people start listening." –If I Die Young by The Band Perry

Zachary Templeton's house was a place that didn't look like it belonged in Leighton Fields. A one-storey stucco dwelling framed by rosebushes and palm trees, it had been kept neat and tidy, but compared to the colonial mansions I'd grown up visiting and partying at, it looked a little... small.

I shut off the engine of my car and turned to look out of the window, drumming my fingers on the wheel and trying to muster up the courage to walk up the drive and face Cam's boyfriend. I had hardly ever spoken to him beyond polite pleasantries or when interacting with Cam, but from what I could determine of the blonde-haired, green-eyed jock, he was a nice guy out of place in the world of Leighton Fields. He always treated Camila sweetly, and me with respect. He was always laughing, extremely handsome, and had a smart and sensible head on his shoulders. He'd been a good influence for Cam, and with him I knew she'd always been happy. They'd had an extremely strange relationship, but considering my tumultuous relations with pretty much everyone, I was in no place to judge.

I slipped out of the car and rubbed my arms vigorously, hoping to dispel the chill creeping into my arms. I ducked my head and walked up the drive, which was wet and slippery with ice. I couldn't remember the last time winter had been this cold, but it was only fitting, I supposed.

I knocked on the door and took in a few deep breaths. I was no longer Perrie Donovan, scared little girl. I had to be strong and confident like Camila, and now I had enough ammunition to start a war, I knew I could be.

The door opened to reveal a kind older lady with shiny hair, pressed pants and an open face. "May I help you?" she asked in a sweet voice that sounded like wind chimes.

I smiled. "I hope so. I'm looking for Zach."

She frowned. "Are you a friend of his?"

"A friend of Camila's, actually," I said quietly. "I wanted to ask him a few questions."

Her face fell. "Oh. I'm sorry for your loss. He's not home at the moment, but he's practicing at the football fields if you'd like to go see him."

"Thank you, ma'am. Have a nice night."

I turned to leave, and was halfway down the porch stairs when her voice stopped me. "You're Perrie Donovan, aren't you? I've heard about you. You and Camila were quite close."

I nodded. "She was like a sister to me."

"I'm so sorry," she told me, and I could tell she honestly meant it.

"I appreciate that," I told her, bidding her adieu and starting for the car. The drive to the fields was slow, and I felt my stomach twist with nervousness over seeing Zach again. I hadn't seen him since the funeral.

It had been a long and hard day, filled with tears and apologies and crumpled tissues. The sky had been dark, and snow had continued to fall as if reflecting our moods. Mrs. Stryker had fallen into her husband's arms, a mess of tearful sobs. Zach had stood there with his jaw set, eyes rimmed in red. I had been far too sober for the circumstances, a mess of trembling tears and breathy sobs.

Zach had shoved his hands into his pants pockets and loped slowly over to me. He stood next to me and brought me into the tightest bear hug I'd ever been given. He buried his face in my neck and inhaled a shaking breath. I shut my eyes and tried not to let any more tears fall. I had to be strong for her. For Cam.