Chapter 25

“I don’t understand why you’re making such a fuss about one song!” Jake sighed exasperatingly.

“You don’t know why I’m-” I stopped midsentence, because I could feel the volume of my voice rising with every syllable that left my lips. After I took a deep, calming breath and tried to remind myself that he didn’t know our history, and by our, I mean, me and Nate’s. When I felt like I could speak without wanting to strangle him and the rest of the God forsaken song writing department, I tried again. “Let me just say that Nate and I have a past. I’d rather have sung him some sappy love song than this-this-whatever this is.”

“Elizabeth, this is as close to sappy love songs as the world of rock gets.”

“Jake, you know you can call me Liz, right? We’ve already recorded an entire album together and the songs you and your department wrote were amazing, but this isn’t me having some diva meltdown where I feel like you should cater to my every whim. This is me ask…no, begging you to pick any song with any lyrics, that aren’t the ones in front of me.”

Jake looked at me for a moment and sighed resignedly. “I’m sorry Liz. It’s this or it’s nothing. This song was chosen for you two specifically by Corey and was written into the contract that the two companies drew up. It was part of the stipulation. Jim didn’t think you’d mind much since it is sure to boost you to the top of the charts. That doesn’t even touch on the fact that the song suits your voice. I would know since like you said, I helped produce your first cd. I have to say I’m disappointed in your reaction, because even though you say it’s not a diva fit, real artists take it in stride and work with what they’re given. I’ll go get Crystal and you guys can talk it out or do whatever it is that women do when they calm each other down.”

I cringed realizing Jake had a point as he strode out the door. Moments later Crystal appeared where Jake once stood.

“Here,” I said, proffering the sheet music without so much as a looking her in the eyes.

She was silent for a moment, but I knew it wouldn’t be long before she got to the chorus. As I expected, she scoffed when she got to the best part, before handing the score back to me.

“I was wondering what got your panties in a bunch. As your best friend, I am obligated to tell you that you can’t let this get to you. If you do, he’s won.”

Sighing to myself, I got up and rolled the knots out of my shoulders. I had come so far in less than a year and I wasn’t about to let him stop me now. This song could make us or break us and I’d be damned if it was the later.

“Come on Crys. Watch me show the world that I own him.”

After I was sure I had my game face back on, I strolled back into the recording studio like I hadn’t just stormed out. Nate and Corey looked shocked that I had come back, but Corey had a little twinkle in his eye that told me that my willingness to just go with it had earned me some respect.

“Sorry about the delay, I was slightly unprepared for the content of the song, but I’m ready to do this.”

“Okay!” Jake announced, clapping his hands together. “Let’s move people! Where’s the sound tech?”

Fifteen minutes later the crew cleared out of the room and I stood opposite of Nate at one of pancake shaped microphones. The music began and I waited a few moments before singing the intro.

“I was the first to say

I want to walk away

But when I look at you

I realize it was my mistake

You were my first love

You were the one for me

I’m here begging you

Because I’m back to stay.”

We continued to alternate singing our parts, which always circled back to me sing the ridiculous chorus that peeved me off to no end. That’s when it hit me. On our ten minute break I ran into the sound booth and asked to speak to Jake for a moment in private. When he consented the sound crew left for a small break of their own.

“So what did you want to talk to me about that couldn’t wait until after we finished recording?”

“I have a suggestion?” I responded in such a way that it came out more of a question than anything. Jake looked at me for a moment, then seeing my hopefulness, gestured for me to carry on.

“When love goes awry, who is usually responsible and wants to get back together?”

Jake stayed quiet for a second and then said, “Men, I suppose. Where are you going with this?”

“I just started thinking that this song would be much more relevant if Nate and I switched parts. Before you object, you said Corey wrote it in the contract that we have to sing this song. He didn’t specify who had to sing what parts, right? If you really look at how the song is written, it would make more sense for Rok Nation to have it this way as well. Nate would have more parts vocally, which technically isn’t our concern since we both work for Rebel Records, but if we change it in Nate’s favor, it will be sure to sell.”

“You know Jim might be mad at me if we change it to the way you’re suggesting…”

“Call him. I’m sure he’ll agree that more singles sold equates to more money and more money is never a bad thing.”

“The sound crew won’t be too happy either…”

“I’ll bring them donuts, coffee and juice tomorrow morning as a thank you.”

“You’re not going to let this go, are you?”

“Nope.”

“Fine,” he finally sighed. Jake reopened the door and yelled, “Breaks cut short, boys. Change of plans.”

The rerecording went smoother than I had expected and Nate took the news of the change just as poorly as I had hoped. Unfortunately for him, he didn’t have a leg to stand on, because Corey went home early due to some stomach problems. Recording was finished by five and I couldn’t help, but feel excited how I’d managed to turn the tables yet again. Nate didn’t even stick around to gloat or anything so I found myself running after him.

“You were right!” I said loudly to his back.

He immediately stopped to turn around to face me. “About?” he questioned, most likely dumbfounded that I had admitted he was right about something. I don't blame him though, since it true that it doesn't happen very often.

“About me hearing the words I longed to hear,” I smirked referring to both the vague words he had imparted to me the other day and his lyrical groveling from just moments ago. I didn’t give him a chance to respond as I walked away to find Crystal so we could go home.

On the way back, however, I discovered that the tally I placed under my mental “Team Liz FTW" column was prematurely placed. Props for today’s win were entirely for Crystal. She had convinced me earlier that morning to swipe some more laxative from my parents’ because she thought it would be funny to watch Nate make more bathroom trips during the recording. When I didn’t see Nate excusing himself to go to the restroom, I had assumed it was because she decided to just wait. Turns out she just really didn’t like Corey. I guess, she took an instant disliking toward him and decided Nate wouldn’t be her victim today…his boss would. I asked her what specifically the man did to deserve it, other than the fact she “just didn’t like him,” and her response made me laugh so hard I almost cried.

“Dirty bastard tried to make you grovel to Nate on a song that could possibly be heard, by like, a bajillion people! ”

I assume that was Life’s way of answering my question from the other day, because that’s what best friends are for.

**So I know crap when I read it and in my opinion this chapter was crap! I have no idea how to fix it so I'm going to leave well enough alone. The next chapter is already posted and I promise it's much better. I'm still going to ask you to VOTE. COMMENT. FAN because even though this chappie was pretty lame, voting for it supports the story as a whole and I would really appreciate your support.

As always, thanks for reading!

Thank you!