Chapter 13

Two weeks had passed since the tour started and we’d already hit San Bernardino, San Francisco, Sacramento, Albuquerque, Denver and a few other towns with smaller venues. There didn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to the order of our stops since our next one was in Las Vegas, Nevada.

When we arrived at the amphitheater and stepped off the bus, I thought I was going to faint from instant heatstroke. It was a sweltering 101°F out and there was absolutely no breeze. I was already used to the heat of Los Angeles, but this was ridiculous.

“Looking forward to the sweaty hot mess, love?” Sam threw an arm over my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes at his suggestive comment, but didn’t shoot him down entirely. “I take it you are?”

He swung the arm that was resting on my shoulder around and me with it so I was now face to face with him.

“Always,” he grinned. His blue eyes sparkled and a twin grin found its way onto my lips.

“Hurry it up lovebirds! You’re clogging the exit like too much shit in the toilet!” one of Flight Risk’s band members called.

My cheeks instantly heated up and I stepped out of Sam’s hold, but as what he said sunk in, I burst out laughing. In my embarrassment, I had forgotten the guy’s name so my retort died where it lay. Was it Lance? Agh! I should know this! I had been hanging out with the crew for a week straight! Why couldn’t I remember his-

“Don’t you think we’re perfect for each other Vince?” Sam called back as he put his arm back around me.

Vince just laughed and walked off with his lucky drumsticks.

“Stop it Sam! We need to get ready for tonight’s set!” I said as trailed behind Vince who was walking toward the stage.

“You know what they say, ‘All work and no play makes Liz a dull girl.’”

“You’re such dolt! Isn’t it ‘All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy?’ I don’t know who Jack is, but I’m not a boy so it obviously wasn’t referring to me. Besides I really do need to tune my guitar, I doubt the crowd wants to hear an off-key guitar.” I joked.

“I’d pay just to see your pretty face.” Sam smiled angelically.

“You would say that.” I laughed.

“OK, if I agree to leave you alone and be a good boy for the afternoon, would you agree to go out with me tonight?”

I opened my mouth to respond, but closed it unsure of how to respond. I still had Chris back home and even though we weren’t exclusive as he had made painfully clear, my heart still belonged to him. Then again, my mind argued, it’s not like I couldn’t still go out and have some fun, and if I had to describe Sam with only five words, fun would definitely be among them.

I must have been silent too long because Sam added, “Come on! It’ll be fun! It’s your first tour and this is Vegas! We’ll go out for a few drinks and ensure this as one of the best experiences of your life! It doesn’t even have to be just you and me it can be the whole gang. Come on Liz! Don’t be a square. We even have tomorrow off from the tour.”

He had this cute puppy dog look on his face as he basically begged me to go out and I felt my mind winning the battle against my heart. The look on his face was enough to squelch any doubts I had in my heart was feeding my mind for going out so I just sighed and said, “Why not!” I felt the air being squeezed out of me as he lifted me off the ground in a bone crushing hug. “Yes!” Then he called out to anyone and everyone, “We’re hitting the town tonight guys! Vegas baby!”