Chapter 20

Epilogue

I wiped away the tears running down my face, and I held on tight to my daughter.

The police officer had just left, the police officer who had told me about Chris's death. Something had happened, and he had been stabbed. I couldn't bear to listen to the officer, everything he had said just made me cry.

"Mommy what's wrong?" Our daughter asked me.

"It's going to be alright," I said. I couldn't tell our five year old what had happened.

"When's Daddy coming home?" Our two year old son asked.

"He's not coming home," I said, bursting into tears.

I picked up our son and held onto him, he looked just like Chris.

There was a knock on the door, and I took a deep breath before opening it.

"I came as soon as I heard," Gordie said, walking inside.

I cried and hugged him. I hadn't seen him in almost ten years, and I had stopped talking to Teddy and Vern in high school. There was another knock on the door and we both jumped. I opened the door, surprised to see the police officer again.

"Hello Ma'am," he said. "I'm sorry but I gave you the wrong information earlier. We thought that Chris Chambers was dead, but he was rushed to the hospital, and somehow they managed to save him."

"What?" I almost yelled.

"When your husband was stabbed, he lost consciousness from losing too much blood. The people thought he was dead, but once he got to the hospital they realized that he wasn't. This was after they told me to spread the news of his death. I'm very sorry for the mistake. Here is all the information you need to visit him in the hospital," he said, handing me a paper with some phone numbers and an address on it.

"Thank you," I said.

"Sorry again for the trouble," the officer said, and then he left.

"Gordie, can you stay here with the kids?" I asked.

"Can you trust me?" He laughed.

"I hope so," I said. "I'll call you as soon as I figure everything out."

"Good luck," Gordie said, hugging me.

"I'll be home soon," I said, kissing the heads of my children and waving to Gordie.

I grabbed my keys and got into the car. It was a long drive to the hospital, and I was nervous to see Chris. People had thought he was dead, he probably didn't look too good.

I arrived at the hospital, talked to a woman at the front desk, and then ran up to Chris's room.

"Hello?" I knocked on the door.

"C-Come in," I heard Chris mutter.

"Chris, how are you?" I asked, grabbing his hand.

"Who are you?" He asked.

I couldn't help myself, and I began to cry.

"Hey, I'm just kidding," Chris laughed.

"Don't you know what I've been through today? You can't do that," I said to him.

"It's okay," he said. "I'm okay."

"I'm so happy you're okay," I smiled, and I kissed him on the forehead.

"I love you," Chris said, and I had never been happier.

The End
________________________

A/N

That's it! It was so hard to write this chapter, at first I was going to have Chris die, but I couldn't do it. I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I'm so sad to end it, and I want to start a new one soon, so please comment requests! I love you all so much!
-Maddie