Chapter 15

"We've got to hurry, we're going to lose him!" A doctor was yelling.

"No!" I screamed as loud as I could.

Some people grabbed me by the shoulders and led me back to my room, but I was crying so hard I didn't know what was happening.

"Calm down, sweetie," Alice said.

"This can't happen," I sobbed. Alice pulled me into a hug. "Can I say goodbye?"

"They're trying to save him, you can't be in the way," she told me.

"But.."

"He's your boyfriend, isn't he?" Alice asked. I nodded. "I could tell, you really seem to care about him."

"I can't lose him," I said, resting my head on her shoulder.

"One of your friends is doing better, would you like to go visit him?" She asked.

I nodded happily, I needed someone to talk to. Alice put her arm around my shoulder and led me into the hallway. The door to Chris' room was shut, and I didn't know whether it was a good thing or a bad thing. She led me around a corner and opened the door to a room.

"Lauren!" Gordie said excitedly when he saw me. I ran up to him and hugged him.

"I'll give you two some time to talk," Alice smiled.

"Please let us know if you hear anything," I begged.

"I'll tell you as soon as I know," She said walking out and closing the door behind her.

"What's going on?" Gordie asked.

"We were in a car accident, now we're in a hospital, and you and I are the only ones who have woken up," I explained.

"Wow, are you okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah, but it looks like you've cut your head up pretty bad," I told him.

"Really?" He asked, bringing his hand to his forehead, where a bandage wrapped all around his head.

"Does it hurt?" I asked him.

"I can't really feel anything," he said. "What about Chris? Is he okay?"

I didn't know what to say, so I just shook my head. Gordie started to tear up, but we were interrupted by Alice walking in with two trays of food.

"I thought you guys might be hungry," she smiled, placing a tray on Gordie's lap and handing me a tray.

"Thanks," Gordie and I said at the same time.

"You're very welcome," Alice smiled as she left.

I climbed into the bed next to Gordie and we ate in silence, but I barely had an appetite. After eating a as much as I could hold down, which wasn't very much, I set the tray with the remainder of the food on the table next to the bed. As I looked up at the ceiling, I started to think about what life would be like if we lost Will, Chris, Teddy, and Vern. I tried not to cry, but soon hot tears were dripping down my face. Gordie put his arm around me, and I could feel his tears falling on my shoulder.

"You kids okay?" Alice said, sticking her head in the door.

"As good as we can be," Gordie said wiping his eyes.

"I have some good news for you," Alice smiled.

"What is it?" I asked, jumping out of the bed.

"Your friend Vern is only scared, he just woke up with quite the appetite," she told us and we broke out into laughter. "And your friend Teddy is awake, but he's talking to himself, almost like he's in the war or something."

"That's just the normal Teddy," Gordie said through our fits of laughter. Then I remembered Chris and Will, they still haven't woken up.

"Can we see them?" I asked.

"Of course," Alice said, leading us out of the room. We went down the hall and stopped at the second door.

"Attack! Attack!" We could hear Teddy yelling before we even opened the door.

"Teddy!" I yelled with excitement, running up and hugging him.

"How you feeling, man?" Gordie asked, doing some sort of handshake with Teddy.

"To be honest, when I first woke up, I saw all the white walls and stuff and I kinda thought I was dead," Teddy said laughing.

"You think you can get up?" I asked Teddy.

"Yeah, why?" He asked.

"So we can see Vern!" I said.

Teddy slowly got up, and Alice pointed to the room directly across from Teddy's room.

We entered Vern's room, but he was asleep. Teddy walked up to the bed, right next to Vern and looked at him.

"He looks dead," Teddy said.

All of a sudden Vern's fist came flying in the air right in front of Teddy's face. Teddy jumped back screaming.

"Ha! Two for flinching!" Vern laughed, punching Teddy's shoulder twice.

"That wasn't funny!" Teddy said.

"Yeah it was!" I laughed.

"You got so scared!" Gordie said laughing.

Alice walked in with a frown on her face. We all looked around the room, expecting bad news.

"You all need to relax, you were just in a car accident," Alice told us and we all sighed with relief.

"If we were in such a bad car accident, how come we aren't hurt too bad, but Chris and Will are?" Gordie asked Alice.

"They were one the left side of the car, it looks like you got hit from behind and veered off the road to the left. They were hit full force while you guys used them as cushions," Alice explained.

"If only I would have gotten into the car on the other side, then Chris would be okay," Gordie said, his voice shaking and his eyes watering.

"But then you would be hurt," I said, putting my arm around him.

"Yeah, Chris always pulls through," Teddy said, patting Gordie's shoulder.

"But what if he doesn't this time!" Gordie yelled, storming out of the room.

"Why don't you guys come with me," Alice said, leading us out of the room and down the hall.

She opened a door and gestured for us to walk in. It was a nice sized room with dim lights, rows of tables, and an old couch with a television in front of it.

"It's our old break room, we don't use it anymore. I thought you guys could hang out here," Alice smiled. "There's a TV over here, and don't use the phone unless given permission. I've got to go, enjoy!"

Alice hurried out of the room, while Vern and Teddy dug through the fridge. Gordie and I sat on a couch in front of the television.

"There's nothing in here!" Vern cried out.

"Lauren, look!" Gordie yelled pointing at the television. I looked over at the screen and screamed.

"That's our car! It's totally destroyed!"

"We're on TV!" Teddy cheered.

"That's awful," Vern said.

The picture of the car showed that it was on its side in a ditch next to the road. It was a terrible sight, and I couldn't believe I had been in that car.

"My mother is going to kill me," I said, looking at the ruins of our station wagon.

A/N

Thank you for all the support through this story. I absolutely love writing it, but I kind of feel like I put a plot twist or cliff hanger in every chapter, oops. Thanks for all the votes and thanks for reading!

-Maddie