Chapter 5

It was 7:22 the next day and Max and Dylan had just boarded the Jet Blue plane.  Max was held her carry-on bag in her left hand squeezing it tightly.  It was the only bag she was allowed to pack herself, the rest had been packed with belongings her identity would most likely have.  Max had not been permitted to see them.

Max awkwardly shuffled through the plane aisle’s, side-stepping passangers that got in her way and shoving the occasional person who pissed her off.  Dylan followed behind, apologizing for her for the people she shoved.  Finally they arrived in their seats.  Max collapsed in hers with a sigh.  She was ready to sleep through the plane ride.  Dylan however, had other plans

“You know, it wouldn’t hurt for you to smile at people once in a while,” he started, “I mean really after that performance on your part half the passengers are probably requesting a new flight for fear of being assaulted.”  Max frowned, if he had thought that was bad he should wait until he saw her in a bad mood. 

“If people would just listen when I said move then they wouldn’t have to deal with me,”  Max snapped.  She started to put her headphones in to block him out, when he spoke again, this time in a whisper.

“You know we are supposed to be a lovesick couple and you’re making this kind of hard on me.  People are gonna to find it hard to believe I’m head over heels for a girl who has the violence of Attila the Hun.” Dylan smiled after saying this, it was meant to be a joke.  But, at seeing Max’s eyes narrow he smile quickly turned to an expression of fear, he knew he’d messed up.

“What I meant was-“ he began, but Max cut him off.

“Oh I know perfectly well what you meant.”  Max said, her voice rising in volume with each word.  “Apparently I’m just too “violent” to be lovable.”

“No, n-“  Dylan tried again but Max was having none of it. 

“I’m sorry I’m not enough of a pushover for you Dylan.” At this point Max was practically yelling.  People were staring.” Maybe if you don’t have me you can find some little suck-up girlfriend, ready to follow you around and kiss everyone’s ass.”  At this point Max imitated a high voice, “Oooh Dylan I think we should be nice to everyone like one big happy family,  I’m gonna go make world peace now.” At this Dylan scoffed.    “Well you can find other little dumb- fuck because we are through!”  Max only swore when she was really pissed off.

The words took a second to register in Dylan’s head, and when they did he looked more befuddled than ever.

“D-did you just…break up with me?”  He asked tentatively, they both knew they couldn’t break-up, they technically weren’t even a couple.  Being a couple was only a ruse for the cruise ship, and they had to stay together to complete their mission.  But, Max was known for her temper, and she wasn’t about to backdown now.

“Yes,” she snarled.  A collective gasp went through the passengers who were eaves-dropping.  Dylan’s brow furrowed in confusion, but he was at a loss for words and chose not to pursue the matter further.  He merely sighed, shook his head, and stuck his own headphones in.  Max followed his example and they sat in silence for the remainder of the plane ride, just as Max had wanted it. 

However, as the plane ride went on Max realized how stupid she had been.  They couldn’t break up, all she had accomplished was to cause a scene and create problems for further on in the mission.  If any of the passengers on the plane happened to be on the cruise ship (which was certainly plausible) they would be slightly confused to see them acting all love-dovey.  What a mess.  Max knew she had to do something.  She would have to make a public announcement, so that there would be no confusion that they were a couple.  She spent the rest of the plane ride dreading it. Finally the plane touched down, she decided to make her move.