Chapter 11-12

ELEVEN

I finally got out of the Principal’s office with only a few detention hours. I know it seems such a light punishment but I had managed to convince him that I did it for the good of the school. I persuaded him that I thought prescheduled fire drills were not efficient in training us in case a real fire occurs.

Faculty members are always previously warned so they prepare themselves knowing exactly when to expect it. But when a real fire breaks no one expects it and that’s why I decided we should test our readiness by making it a complete surprise to everyone.

I felt he was actually considering what I just told him so I buttered it up a bit and complimented him on how well he had the whole school organized and ready. That worked and he only gave us a few hours of detention just to discourage us from taking anymore initiatives like that and to run them by him first.

I went into class and everyone cheered for us. My, how news travels fast here.

I made a theatrical bow and took me seat. The teacher calmed the class down and resumed the lesson. I looked over to Kimberley and found her looking at us with an expression I couldn’t quite define.

I gave her a smile and she slightly smiled back then got all serious again as if something was on her mind and awkwardly turned her attention to the teacher.

The rest of the period I felt her stealing glances at us and I was wondering what was going through her mind. That look she gave us had told us she suspected I had done it for her but she wasn’t sure and was trying to figure it out.

The bell rang and me friends gathered around me desk to ask us how I had pulled it off. I looked over their shoulders but found that Kimberley had gone. I was disappointed cause I didn’t have her in any of the rest of me classes and we weren't going to work on the chemistry project after school.

After a few hours the last bell rang, school was over for the day. Unfortunately though, not for us. I had to serve detention, remember? When I finally got out, I headed to me car in the now empty parking lot. But it wasn’t as empty as I thought it was.

Leaning against the hood of me car, almost half asleep, was Kimberley. I was surprised. Pleasantly surprised that is. I couldn’t believe she had waited for us!

"Hey.” She said straightening up as I got closer.

“Hey.” I said back.

Then it was quiet as we just stood there awkwardly. She put her hands in her jacket pockets and fidgeted a bit.

“I was…”

“Were you…”

We both laughed nervously as we had spoken at the same time. Then we fell quiet again.

“Thanks.” She simply said. I knew that was the most I was going to get out of her and it was more than enough for us.

“You’re welcome.” I said and smiled at her.

She smiled back. She looked even more beautiful when she smiled and it made me knees weak.

"Hop in, I’ll give you a lift home. You look like you can barely stand up.” God knows me feet were barely holding us.

"No, it’s okay. I don’t want to trouble you.”

"No trouble at all. Anyways I want to check on the pup.”

"Oh, okay then.”

This time I went before her and opened the door for her. She didn’t object and even gave us a smile as she got in the car. Maybe she was just too tired to argue, I didn’t know and I didn’t care. I was so happy I had to hold meself from skipping as I went to me side of the car to get in.