Chim - Fire In Your Eyes

TEASER

When I first met her she thought I was a racist pig. I thought she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. She was always angry that way. A raging outspoken feminist always ready to argue her point, even if you don’t even disagree with her. She was the feisty rebellious stunning new girl in school and I fell for her the first time I saw her.

Her name was Kimberley and she was breath taking. She had long wavy blonde hair that encircled the most gorgeous face you had ever seen. Her mesmerising blue-grey eyes held such fury and passion. They would just light up whenever she was in a heated discussion. She was a bit taller than us and with a body to die for. Her soft light skin beckoned to be touched. And I so wanted to answer that call.

But she never paid any attention to us. I couldn’t see why. I mean, ego aside, I’m rather pretty. Dark hair. Hazelnut eyes. Slim athletic body and a very irresistible smile that contained dimples, I’ve been told.

I would just sit in class and dreamily watch her argue with the teacher. Then one day I saw me chance. We were discussing in debate class the recent scandal of an African American sitcom star, who was instantly fired from the set due to accusations of being a drug addict and possibly involved in a gang.

Kimberley argued that he wasn’t given the benefit of a doubt and received unfair treatment merely because he was black and such behaviour was expected of him.

I decided then to speak knowing fully well she wasn’t going to like what I was about to say.

“What is also unfair is to presume he was fired only because of the colour of his skin and not for the more obvious reason that it’s a family sitcom and, as a very influential character in the show, he was sending the wrong message to young kids.”

“Very good argument there Cheryl.“ pointed out the teacher.

“That’s ridiculous…” started Kimberley vehemently, but the bell rang and interrupted her.

“Ok, that’s all the time we have for today. We’ll continue this discussion next week.” said the teacher.

“But…” said Kimberley.

“Next week Kimberley!” stopped her the teacher.

She turned around, looked us straight in the eyes, and gave us a murderous look. I couldn’t help but smile. She had finally noticed us.

Me smile only made her angrier. And that made us smile even more. I decided I would rather have her mad at us than be totally invisible to her.