Chapter 26 - Take a Hike

All right. This was my last updated chapter and you guys never got to read the ending that I never really wrote, so I'm sorry about that. Maybe you will eventually. Maybe you won't. In this case, though, I don't think it really matters. You can make it up if you like - it's just life. 

However, I've included some snippets of what I tried to write for the last chapter - enjoy!

While Harry goes off in search of the remaining hot dogs, I stride across the campsite to stand beside Finn. I follow his gaze and after waiting quietly for a moment, I slowly reach over and hold his hand. We stand like that, barely touching under a haphazardly shrouded sky. The tips of the trees point at where the stars, thrown so wildly into their bed of black, slip between clouds. Here the earth is still.

We go to sit down around our communal meal spot, still holding hands, and I watch the fire curl against itself. "I'm sorry, your PDA is making everyone uncomfortable," Seth says from behind us. He uses his arms to pry us apart and remarks, "Make room for Jesus."

"You're an idiot," Finn says, throwing a remaining graham cracker at him.

In reponse, Seth throws part of his bun back.  

~

"How was the trip?" Mom wants to know after pulling away from hug with a slightly wrinkled nose. I must stink. 

"Brilliant!" I say. "And I managed not to seriously injure myself."

"Hah!" My father exclaims, turning to Ian. "Pay up, squirt."

I raise an eyebrow as Ian forks over a five dollar bill. Addressing me, he says, "Dad and I had a bet, you see. I thought you'd at least need stitches on something. He figured you'd be all right."

"Well," I say in false indignation, "Sorry to disappoint you."

Ian smiles sheepishly and gives me a hug as a peace offering. After he too curls his nose, I huff and announce that I am going to shower. I get under the stream of water and I'm almost sad to see the scent of the outdoors and life and sun go. When I walk into my room, freshly showered and clothed in an old tee shirt and running shorts, Finn is passed out in my chair in the corner. 

"Your turn, Stinky Pete," I announce, tossing a pillow at his bent form. Startled, he blinks awake. 

"Love you," a voice whispers before the light clicks off. I make a noise of disagreement and roll over slightly in bed. 

"I'm awake," I mumble in a small voice.

"Liar."

"Don't go," I say, beginning to sit up.

"Your dad," Finn says, "would literally shoot me in the face."

I smile slightly, half drugged with sleep, and shake my head. "He's all bark."

"You didn't hear what he said to me when you were in the shower."

~

"You are actually pitiful at this game. How is it possible to lose that often?" I muse, throwing another banana peel his way before taking first place. 

"We're going to be late,"  Finn says, tossing his controller onto the couch beside him and ignoring my last comment. 

"No such thing, Kemo Sabe," I respond as I get up anyway, reaching around him to turn Mario Kart off. He gives me a look as I pluck my heels off the ground.

"Oh, so I'm The Lone Ranger in this scenario?"

"Yup," I say as he scoots around me while searching for his shoes. I smoothe my dress and look down at him. He pulls a shoe on and glances up, giving me another look.

"Well in that case, Silver is going to leave your ass behind if you aren't ready in two minutes."

"You can't leave me behind for my own sister's wedding," I say, laughing as I head to the stairs. 

 ~

I laugh and throw on my own shoes. Once in the car, I muse, "Do you think I should have made cookies or something? Like a housewarming gift?"

"I might have half a box of Oreos in the back somewhere," Finn says.

I twist in the seat, searching the backseat, and come up with a box of Oreos with a noticeable lack of content, a pretzel rod, and an unopened but horribly expired bottle of Gatorade. I twist my nose once I present him with the findings. "College has turned you into a hoarder."

 ~ 

My eyes roam over the campus and I see Harry carrying me down to the entrance after I'd been bitten. I see Ben giving me a thumbs up after asking me out on that doomed-from-the-start date. I watch the various different groups of kids that I'd been responsible for shove sticks into hornet's nests (happened once), eat dirt (maybe twice), and get lost (more times than I'd like to admit). I'm pricked by a strong sense of nostalgia, even though it's all still happening, even though it doesn't make sense because I don't really know what I'm missing yet. I guess I miss the start of it all. I love beginnings. They're the best part of everything. A rising sun is infinitely better than a setting one.