Chapter 20 - December 20th - Alec

December 20th - Alec

It occurred to me, whilst I lay the night before trying - and failing - to fall asleep, that I haven't seen Izzy and Jace in a few days. Not properly, anyhow. We've been so busy training Toby and preparing for Christmas that I haven't talked to my siblings properly for ages. It might be the longest we haven't really been together for. I give Jace a call as soon as I wake up.

"Hey, can we drop by later?" I ask.

Jace moans, sounding tired, like I've just woken him. I probably have.

"Sure, whatever."

I note the grumpy sleepiness in his voice, and end the call before he falls asleep on the phone. It wouldn't be the first time; Jace isn't a morning person. Jace isn't really an any time person, he's equally grumpy and sarcastic all day.

It's around 12 when we arrive at the Institute and Jace is vaguely less irritable - but, as predicted, just as sarcastic.

"Training, five days before Christmas? It's like you're trying to suck all of the fun out Shadowhunting." He sighs.

"Firstly, Shadowhunting isn't meant to be fun." I say pointedly and, perhaps, slightly haughtily. "It's a duty bestowed upon us by the Angel, not a game. And secondly, we're not here to train. We're just here to hang out."

Urgh, I'd forgotten how annoying Jace is. Now I remember why I haven't seen him for ages; it's like he goes out of his way to piss me off. But then again, I guess that's why I like him. He keeps me sane.

"Where's Izzy?" I ask, taking off my coat.

"Oh, we have a visitor, so Izzy is with her." Jace explains.

"Who?" Toby asks, wriggling out of his coat.

His question is promptly answered when Izzy comes down the hall, followed by a tall lady about my age with steel-grey eyes and brown hair waterfalling around her narrow shoulders. I don't recognise her, but Magnus clearly does. And judging by her expression, she recognises him too.

"Tessa!" He exclaims.

Her eyes light and she rushes forward, as he catches her in a hug.

"Magnus! How are you?" She asks, holding him tight.

Is this some ex-girlfriend he parted particularly amiably with? They seem rather...close.

"I'm fantastic, and you? How's Jem?" Magnus asks, pulling back from her.

Toby and I exchange confused glances, and I shrug.

"Jem's...Jem. Well, he's not, but you know what I mean."

Magnus nods. "Still meeting at Blackfriars'?"

"Once a year, yes." Tessa replies, then she turns to us. "But enough about me, what about you, Magnus?"

Magnus takes a step towards us and motions us forward. Toby and I reluctantly obey.

"This is Alec." Magnus says, an arm around me. I smile, slightly bashfully, in greeting.

"Black hair and blue eyes." Tessa observes.

"Not to mention totally gorgeous." Magnus adds with a grin.

"Indeed, he's beautiful. He reminds me of-"

"I think it's the cheekbones, as well as the colouring, of course."

I cough, my face flaming, feeling distinctly like a doll that's being admired in a shop window.

"And who's this?" Tessa asks of Toby.