Chapter 19 - December 19th - Alec

December 19th - Alec

I wake up in the early hours of the morning, on the sofa, to the sound of beeping. It takes me a few confused seconds to realise it's the cake timer, the smell of baking filling the room with comforting Christmas scents. I look down at Magnus's arm around my waist, and sigh at having to get up. I carefully disentangle myself from Magnus - who's still sleeping - and take the cake out of the oven which is somewhat dark, but still edible looking.

When it's cooled a little, I cut two slices, put them on plates, and carry them over to the sofa.

"Magnus," I say quietly, shaking his shoulder. "Wake up."

He opens an eye, sleepily.

"2am cake break?" I whisper, and he smiles bemusedly and sits up, looking sleepy.

He's clearly too tired to question it, so he takes a plate and we sit and eat cake in the pitch-blackness of the living room at 2am. I can already tell I'll regret this in the morning, when I can barely keep my eyes open. I lay my plate down on the floor and start to stand.

"Come on," I say gently. "We should go to bed."

Magnus catches my wrist and tugs me back towards him.

"We will in a second." He says, voice slurred with sleep. I acquiesce, rolling my eyes, and sit back down. He slumps against the arm and I lay my head back against his chest. I should probably stay awake, I think, staring at the ceiling. Because if not, we'll probably stay here all night. My eyelids get heavier as I feel Magnus's warm curl around my waist. I should stay awake.

When I wake up again - still on the sofa, but now surrounded by the two empty plates of cake - I feel exhausted, as expected. I groan and try to bury my face in Magnus's shirt, in an attempt to avoid moving. He eases himself up and goes to the kitchen as Toby comes in.

"Toast?" Magnus asks.

"Yes, please." Toby says and I nod.

"And coffee." I mumble sleepily, pulling the sofa throw off the back cushion and around myself.

I hear the clink of a mug and add, "And,"

"Black, no sugar. I know." Magnus finishes, and presents me my breakfast minutes later.

I move along on the sofa, sitting up, to make room for Toby. I nudge him with my elbow as he sits down.

"Six days 'til Christmas." I remind him.

He nods.

"Are you excited?" I ask.

"Uh huh." He says. "I'm just worried that the Shadowhunters will make me leave at the end of the year."

I put my plate on my lap and ruffle his hair gently.

"They won't. My dad said you could stay. It'll be fine." I look at him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Try not to worry, Toby. Just relax and enjoy Christmas."

Later, we decide to watch Christmas films, in an attempt to get into the festive spirit. Magnus goes to the dollar store on the corner and comes back with five DVDs, each for a buck. He spreads them out in a fan on the floor, in all their questionably legal glory. I scan the titles, pretending to know what they are. We didn't watch movies so much at the Institute, so I'm lost.

"Toby, you pick." I say, finding a way to not betray my movie-ineptitude. "What shall we watch?"

Then he selects one of the DVDs, puts the disc into the TV, and we sit back.

"Wait, so those are puppets?" I ask.

"Muppets." Magnus replies. "It's called a Muppet Christmas Carol, Alexander."

"Yeah, I know. But what's a muppet?" I press.

"I don't know! No one knows! It doesn't matter!"

"How drunk were the people who thought this up?"

Toby looks up from the screen.

"About as drunk as you two were last night." He grins.

"We weren't drunk!" I protest. "We were...tipsy."

Magnus snorts.

"So tipsy you forgot you put a cake in the oven and fell asleep on the sofa." Toby points out.

"How do you know about that?" Magnus asks.

Toby grins mischievously and I smile, accepting we've been totally busted.

"Cake?" I offer, and we laugh.

Around four movies into our marathon, Magnus stretches and stands up.

"I'm going to get a drink. Can I get you anything?"

I shake my head and Toby similarly declines, sat on the other sofa. As Magnus leaves, I look up.

"Hey, Toby, I haven't had much time to talk to you since the meeting with the Clave."

He shrugs. "I guess not, no."

"You did really good." I tell him. "I wanted to let you know. I was so proud when you stood up for yourself, told that shadowhunter they were wrong. I'm really glad you're a shadowhunter."

"Why?" He asks.

"Because, there aren't so many shadowhunters like you."

"You think I'm weird?" He asks, sounding slightly offended.

"No, no." I assure him. "I mean, there aren't so many shadowhunters who are willing to question the Clave. There aren't so many shadowhunters I think believe my spiel about there being no wrong way to be nephilim."

"I believe you." He says quietly.

"Thanks, Toby." I smile. "I think you're going to change the world. I think, if anyone can do it, it'll be you."

"You have way too much faith in me, Alec." He says, with a small, embarrassed laugh.

"No, you don't have enough faith in you." I tell him, and he smiles.

"Thanks, Alec." He says, and the conversation shifts to lighter things as Magnus returns with a drink in hand and throws himself back on the sofa, hitting play on the TV remote and resuming the movie.