Prologue

As the Ice Melts

Austin Bryan Lindain of Alice and Johntlea, Breaking the Ice and Infection

PG-13 for censored language and heavy violence all throughout

A heartfelt novel set in the universe of Breaking the Ice, Alice and Johntlea and other novels of Austin Bryan Lindain

Thank you for your appreciation.

Prologue

Year 2012, a princess from an unknown planet invades the Earth, murdering thousands on her assault on New York City. The land was scarred forever, but Alice, an Earthborn Venatorian, saves the world alongside Johntlea, a genetically evolved human with superhuman abilities. Earth was safe from others, but not from itself. The world's mobs riot ; gangs become authority ; the government becomes obsolete.

Year 2037, a very fatal economical crisis struck through North America, and soon through the whole world. People became barbarians, nomads and otherwise afraid. The world was never like before ; crowds of criminals overwhelm the military, alongside the protests of the masses. Education survived the onslaught, but nonetheless only the able and unhaunted by crime were allowed to continue studies.

Year 2042, after 5 short years of death and crime, Stephanie Harrison continued to live her teenage life, but not like the teenage life of the past. Studies were far more important for children now ; bullying was almost wiped out, alongside suicide of youth. Stephanie was eager to learn, and knew that at home, she would be greeted happily by her father. Stephanie is helped to learn by her filthy rich bestie, Monica. The two always visit the nearby starport, just beside the school, but they weren't allowed inside. Life was to continue even at the midst of hardships.

One rainy day, the blonde was to go to school, with an umbrella up on the air, alone. It was lonely, and it gave meaning to the rain. Stephanie had a very obvious frown, reminiscing about memories. Her mother was the one that taught her to talk. Her mother taught her to ride a bike, and about boys. She was sad, as if her world detoriated around her slowly, like a knife reaching to the bones and deeper. Her heart ached as her mind failed to function. As the sadness tries to devour her alive, as if like a troll to a small piglet whom screamed with all its lungs, the half-Russian brunette arrived at her side. The rather brash and sly yet caring Monica tries to console the blonde, who was unable to accept her mother's death because of cancer.

"It's okay. We're all here for you.", said the unexpectedly kind teenager, who was usually the person who believed that a bribe could solve everything.

"N-N-No! Don't mind me! I'm okay!".

"Listen to me. I'm your bestie, and bestie's don't hide anything from each other, and I'm pretty sure you're not hiding it well."

"Okay then! Maybe I'm a little sad but-", tried to excuse the depressed blonde, though her friend immediately interrupted before finishing her word.

"A little sad? Your grade holograms depicts your class performance as a 44/100 the last few days! Maybe somewhere in this I am wrong. Because hell nobody wouldn't be that depressed when they lose someone important to them. But keep it together, blondie! What about your father, or your little brother? Would you let your them down just because of your feelings? Would you let your father die too?", consoled Monica like a guardian angel, though never expecting a negative reaction.

"Don't even try and put Mickey on this! This mess you're trying to create is nothing about Mickey! And don't you even dare talk to me like that! As if you know everything about me!", responded the very angry blonde, feeling insulted because of the half-Russian's mention of her little brother and father.