Chapter 9

So don't hate me guys. I know its been a while. I don't need reminding ;) Hopefully those of you actually still reading this like the chapter. I wrote it when I was away on a trip...
So, thank god, it finally feels like I am pretty much over my huge slump. However, the beginning of this chapter was a little difficult, so don't be surprised if it isn't that well written.... As I wrote more it definitely smoothed out though, so no worries! 
<3

{Warren}

Sighing after a long day at the bank, I slowly let myself into my family's mansion. The large empty hall was not very welcoming, but it still felt good to finally be able to relax. But, just as I lifted my head to my temple, I swore I heard something fall on second floor. Knowing my parents were still gone, I was instantly wary of a thief.

"Mary?" I yelled, still hoping it was only a servant, but no reply came. I immediately making my presence known. The heavy silence creepy around me, making me feel quite vulnerable, I crossed to the far wall and struggled to reach on of the ornamental swords hanging just within my reach.

Uncertainly gripping the gold hilt, I crept up the staircase, the long pointed blade extended in front of me. In the middle of the hallway riddled with doors, I realized I had no idea where to go to find the intruder. They could be anywhere in this huge house. Suddenly feeling extremely foolish with a decorative sword in my hand, I lowered it to my side, letting my guard down, passing the noise off as a figment of my imagination.

That's when she struck.

_______________________________________________________

My eyes drifted open and I groaned as the pounding pain in my head was registered in my brain. I squeezed my lids shut, wishing I could return to the heaven that is dreamland. That being impossible, I started to wonder what events had led up to my awakening with this horrible headache. Lazy and groggy with sleep, it took me too long to come back to reality.

But, finally, my head cleared and I sat up suddenly, but before I could see where I was my vision was clouded by black spots and I was suddenly aware of wood underneath me.

After I finally could see properly, I propped myself up on my elbows and saw the masked woman standing in the doorway leading out of my parents bedroom, preventing me from escaping. She started at me, her eyes boring into mine, never breaking her gaze. I looked down, scrambling away until my back hit the wall. I felt like a coward, trying to get away from a girl, but she honestly frightened me. I looked around for something to defend myself; the sword I had had before was nowhere in sight.

My mind puzzled over why she was in my house and what she could possibly want from me now, after hearing my secret and going to so much trouble to escape. I could make no sense of it, and when I looked up, she was advancing on me, like a lioness stalking her prey. She had a knife gripped tightly in her palm, and I had nothing, so I gave up the idea of fighting back. But, when she finally reached me, instead of slitting my throat like I expected, she extended her empty hand, her discomfort showing clearly in her expression. I stared at her fingers stupidly for a few minutes before finally reaching up and taking them gingerly, as if they were made of glass that could shatter any second.

"Don't look so surprised." She grumbled as she pulled my from the floor. Brushing a few stray curls away from her mask, she cleared her throat before speaking again, this time in a more businesslike tone. "Always fight back, even. If you don't have A knife Or a rifle. Your body is as good a Weapon as any." I was only more confused than ever.

"What? Why are you here? What..." I trailed off uncertainly. She looked me straight in the eyes.

"Look, I don't know what you've gotten yourself into. You don't need to tell me everything. All I know is what I overheard from you. Apparently, I have to help you with whatever you need to do. I don't have a choice." the words from the notes flashed into My mind. You will have an accomplice. Now I understood, but her? Would that work? Lost in my pondering, it took me a while to respond.

"Er, I know what you're talking about. Do you know who's putting you up to this?" I asked, hoping it wasn't what I was thinking.

"I'm not quite sure, someone named 'M'" My fears were confirmed.

" How do I know that you are telling the truth?" I inquired.

" You don't. But I am." She looked away for a second. "Can you do this by yourself?"

Even though part of me thought I was wrong, I didn't hesitate before answering. " No."

---------------------

{Robin}

One last job. One last job before I could escape this aboveground hell. I didn't even have to know what it was to know that I would accept. If I could get out, no price would be too high, no task too difficult.

" Who sent you?" I asked the strange messenger before me eager to hear my savior's name.

"My employer would prefer to keep his identity secret... for now. You will learn everything soon enough. This note will tell you everything about the job. It contains an address. If you agree with the terms, drop off a reply there. If we do not hear from you within a week, we will assume that you have denied." He handed me a white envelope, almost the same color as his pale skin. I gripped it tightly in my fist. This was my one-way ticket out of my misery.

"Goodbye...?"

"Corriance," he said abruptly as he turned and left.

Hesitantly, I opened the note to reveal elegant curled writing. I scanned the contents. Dread filled my lungs and made it hard to breathe. My fingers began to shake, and I had a strong urge to throw the paper into the fire and forget this whole encounter. But then I remembered to words from earlier. One last job. I crumpled the paper in my hand, squeezing it into a tight ball, but I couldn't get rid of it now. I couldn't refuse even if I wanted to.

{Persephone}

"You want to do what?" I gasped.

"I don't want to do it. But yes, I have to kill the queens son."

"I assume you mean the Queen of England?" With no response I plowed on. "This man is crazy, and so are you if you think you have any possible chance of accomplishing this! You have NO chance."

He looked at me with an expression on his face that Id never seen there before, his jaw set and eyes hard.

"I have no choice."

"You're wrong. There are always choices. You can choose not to go on a mission where you will die, and bring me with you!"

"I can't let my family get hurt because of me, no matter the circumstances. And you don't know that I will fail."

"Yes, I do! Do you know how many people want to kill the royal family? They are the most guarded people... anywhere! He is the heir to the throne. People have tried to murder him before, and they have failed. We would be no different."

"We are different." Warren said stubbornly. "My family has power, money. Trust. You know how to plan, how to steal, how to fight. Us, together. We can do this."

All the disbelief and anger flooded out of me, replaced with an empty sadness that made my back slump.

"But what if we can do it?" I whispered. "We would be murderers. The person blackmailing us- M- would have the second in line, who he wanted, in power, and it would be our doing. Is it really worth it to risk that?"

Warren stared into his lap, unmoving while I waited for an answer.

"I don't know. But I do know that I have to do everything I can to save my family."

----------------------

Finally, a chapter finished!!!!!!! Things are really starting to heat up now huh? Well I hope that you enjoyed the chapter... I'm going away for a trip tomorrow, so long plane rides and car rides and boat rides, and lots of free time. Hopefully this will equal a LOT of writing...

Vote and fan if you liked the chapter, and comment telling me what you think... Constructive criticism very welcome!!!!!!