Replacement Mates

1 year later

Natalie's POV

This sleep was the best sleep in the whole fucking universe. I was cold and wrapped up in blankets, best feeling ever, it was dark in my room and my bed was so unbelievably comfortable right now. This was the most peaceful I've been in a while.

The soft fabric of my pillows and blankets felt like heaven against my skin. My sore body was relaxed on my soft cottony bedding. This is the life.

And that was someone's cue to wake me up.

"Oh Natsack!" Came a loud, teasing voice. I instantly smiled. It was Jace. If anybody else had woken me up from this sleep I would have been in instant bitch mode, but not with him. Jace was my best friend. He helped me get through my rejection and ignore the mate bond now I barely felt the pain of Will sleeping with someone else.

Although it still hurt like hell sometimes it was nothing I couldn't handle. Jace just made everything so easy and light. It was impossible to be in a bad mood around him. And... I was starting to really developed deep feelings for him.

Suddenly there was a huge weight on my back and I groaned.

"Jace get your heavy ass off me, you weigh a ton!" I laughed as I tried to wriggle from under him.

"Nope and I don't weight that much!" He laughed and started to bounce.

"Oh. My. God. Get. Off." My words were punctuated with his bounces.

"Not. A. Chance." He mimicked.

Somehow I managed to turn around and he was now bouncing in my stomach. I started tickling his sides and he fell back on my bed laughing. I moved around until I was sitting on his stomach now.

Good thing I decided to wear joggers to bed last night, I usually only slept in a t-shirt and panties.

That would have been interesting.

His laugh was so goofy I couldn't help but join in. As we quieted down our eyes locked. He smiled sweetly at me and I returned it.

Slowly, I ran my fingers through his wild curls. His eyes fluttered and closed, his chest rumbled in a purr like way as I slowly traced his eyebrows with the tip of my finger.

Jace was one of the greatest guys I have ever met. Not to mention one of the hottest. His curly brown hair was always in his eyes. His green eyes sparkled when i looked at him. He was kind hearted, sweet, and just an overall great guy and Alpha. Everything that Will wasn't. Sometimes I found myself wishing that he was my mate. I couldn't believe that his mate rejected him. We hadn't talked a lot about it but I just couldn't help myself now.

"Do you mind if I asked you a question?" I got off of him and sat beside him, hugging my knees to my chest.

He put his hands behind his head and got comfortable. "Shoot."

I hesitated, this was a very personal question and I didn't want to upset him. "Why didn't your mate want you?"

He instantly tensed up. "Well I'm not a stereotypical Alpha. My parents were killed when I was thirteen. My uncle helped me get used to things and was kind of my bodyguard/adviser. I was so busy training and taking care of the pack I never really had much of a social life. My mates name was Amy. I didn't know her but I knew of her. To be honest she was the kind of the pack whore. A guest Alpha was staying when I finally met her. I found her in his bed completely naked."

Jace took a deep breath and paused. Old anger and sadness were swirling in his eyes and I started to regret asking him about this. I squeezed his shoulder and smiled sadly at him.