Chapter Two

Koa sat back in her wooden chair and watched as Halston entered the little bistro. She hid her smile as his eyes scanned the room. He was like a golden light, come to spread joy throughout the room. She wasn't the only woman to notice him. Koa was very aware of the looks he got whenever he stepped into a room.

She sipped her coffee and sighed. She wasn't ready to tell him about the night before, but Halston was more than her best friend. He was her boss.

Halston didn't have to look long for her. Koa tended to stand out, especially in the countryside of Paris. Her pale face, green eyes, and long blue hair were a stark contrast to everyone in the room. The fact that she was Korean didn't help her blend in either.

Halston's eyes met hers and his lips crept into a smile.

How could anyone have a more perfect smile? Koa thought as she twirled her hair with her finger.

She would never tell him such a thing. Halston was already arrogant enough.

Always late, she thought with an impish grin. For someone who loved rules and decorum, Halston never seemed to think twice about punctuality.

Halston checked his watch. He shrugged as if he just realized that he was thirty minutes late and it wasn't a big deal.

He took off his navy fedora and ran his hand though his blond hair as he crossed the small room. Halston stood before her. Perfect white teeth smiled at her. Everything about him was perfect. He was literally created that way.

Koa's eyes scanned the room. She secretly enjoyed the dirty looks the other women were giving her when they realized that this masterpiece of a man had come to see her.

"Good morning, Koa," Halston said, sitting across from her. He reached over to take a piece of her bacon. Koa slapped his hand.

"Hands off, scumbag," Koa scolded as she hid a mischievous smile. "You didn't even ask."

Halston's eyebrows drew in. "Geez," he said, sitting back. "Someone's moody today," he grumbled and motioned for the waitress.

Koa folded her arms across her chest. "And someone's late..." She loved to tease him.

That perfect smile returned. It should have made her grimace. Instead, it did exactly what he wanted it to do. It softened the lines in her face, making her smile in return.

"I apologize. Why couldn't we meet somewhere familiar, like Lepicurien, or something?"

Koa shrugged. "Because I like it here. Don't question a Parisian about her bistros, Halston."

"But you don't know how hard it is to get out here with all of the sheep in the streets and whatnot. And you're not really Parisian—you're Korean. Right?"

Koa huffed and folded her arms across her chest as she leaned back in her chair. She was offended. She'd lived in Paris since she was a child. "I've lived here long enough to be considered Parisian."

Halston swiped one of her macaroons and popped it into his mouth. "Pardon me, Mademoiselle. You will forgive me, right?"

Koa rolled her eyes, but her smile widened without her permission. She could listen to him just talk for hours. "Sure. This time." She flicked her bangs out of her eyes. "How could anyone resist that British accent?"

Halston shrugged with a grin. "I suppose it has its perks."

Koa didn't think Halston knew just how much it affected her. He could ask for anything.