30. When Two Waves Clash

"Are you ready?" Trevor teased, wiggling his eyebrows at me knowing I'm basically so close to having a heart attack right now.

"Uh no! I'm literally gonna be the only girl there and it's so awkward." I gritted my teeth at the thought of other people just staring deep into my soul.

"Okay where the hell is Arielle? I can't find her!" Coach Alex exclaimed loudly, causing me to shudder in nervousness. "Ah! There you are! You're gonna be the first swimmer." He smiled widely, gesturing for me to go to the pool.

Out of all the 10 other members in my team, of course I had to be the first one chosen. Ugh.

"Yes! Go Arielle!" I hear Trevor yell out as I awkwardly walked towards the pool.

Heavily curious to whom I was gonna go up against, I quickened my pace towards the starting block.

Suddenly the loud announcer started to speak, alarming the other competitors to hurry up and come already.

"First swimmer from The MakoSharks, Ryoshi Kanazakhi!" The man melodramatically announced, causing loud cheers from one side of the gymnasium.

"First swimmer from The SeaSnakes, Adam Trenner."

Is it really that necessary to announce all 6 players? I just want this to be over already!

"First swimmer from The Torpedoes, Jose Torres."

"First swimmer from The TigerSharks, Arielle Tesfaye."

Well there's my name.

"WHOOO! GO ARIELLE"
"GO GET THEM!"
"YASS!"
"DON'T DROWN!"
"BREAK A LEG!"

I hear my teammates yell, causing me to let out a small laugh about how they're literally the loudest people in the gymnasium right now.

"First swimmer from the Great White Sharks, Casper Lionel."

Uh oh here we go.

"And lastly, first swimmer from the Stingrays, Mason Hunter." The announcer finished, pulling out a whistle as the crowd continued to go crazy.

Mason's spot just so happened to be right next to mine, causing me to uncontrollably blush as his eyes started to gaze at me.

"Good luck." He winked, continuing to look intently at me, making me more and more nervous for no apparent reason.

"Same to you." I breathed, not even bothering to look at him as I tried my hardest to focus.

"Get ready."

"Set."

PRUUHH!!

My body rapidly tensed up at the touch of the cold water, slightly boosting my adrenaline into swimming faster. All my practice has been leading up to this moment, and I would kill myself if I don't win this race.

My arms stayed strong and firm as I continued to swim as fast I could to the other side, not even bothering to worry about the others but Mason. I had to beat him. Catching a quick glimpse of the edge of the pool gave me a sudden boost of energy, making me swim faster. My legs flipped up and down behind me like a fat seal trying to catch fish as my arms paddled like a puppy drowning in a pool.