Chapter 25: My Worst Nightmare

I laid in Forrest' arms watching the sun come up. His hand splayed over the small bump on my abdomen. I was four in a half months now and starting to show. Forrest kept a watchful eye on me even more than usual. He thought I didn't notice, but I did. The thought of adding on to our family was a breath of fresh air with everything that was going on. Things were pretty quiet around here.

In the beginning of May we celebrated my birthday at the station. Everyone came, all except Richie. I knew he wouldn't show. I just wished he could've been there. We were well into the month and summer was quickly approaching. Forrest and his brothers were going on more runs than usual. It seemed that business became busy when the weather heated up.

Today was one of those busy days for Forrest. He rose from bed and started to get ready to take care of business. "Hey Forrest, I think I might stop by Bertha's today." I informed him. He stared at me from the corner of his eye and grumbled something under his breath.

"Take your gun with you." He instructed and I was in too much of a blissful state to put up any kind of argument with him. I dressed rather quickly to see him and Howard off. Howard was headed up to the stills to keep watch. Maggie was behind the bar attending to the small group of customers in attendance today. I buried myself into Forrest' side as we stepped on to the porch. I welcomed the warmth of the morning sun on my skin and the cool breeze that whipped pass my face.

"Don't stir up no trouble while I'm gone." Forrest muttered with a sly smirk. His thumb brushing lightly over my cheek.

"Only if you promise to come home early." I retorted with a cocked eyebrow. He chuckled. Wrapping my arms around Forrest' torso I pulled him in as close as I could. His face buried in my wavy hair. He kissed my forehead before pulling back a little. Placing his big hand on the swell of my belly. I smile up at him to be met with those stormy eyes of his. With that look that I still couldn't comprehend.

"'Member what I said." He pulled me in for a kiss- one that I wish would never end. I simply nodded unable to respond after his kiss. I watched him walk away towards his truck.

"Babette!" I hear Maggie's voice from inside calling out to me. Turning and walking back inside she smiled up at me. "Come and sit. I made you some breakfast." My stomach growled at the mention of breakfast and I could not deny food at this time. I took my time eating, having some small talk with Maggie, trying to pass some time before I headed out.

I took my sweet time heading over to Bertha's. Driving around in one of Jack's recently purchased cars. Bertha's father was out tending to his farm when I arrived. He smiled when he noticed me.

"Mornin' Mr. Minnix. Is Bertha around by any chance?" His face went from looking around helpfully to confused when he didn't see her anywhere around.

"She was 'round a minute ago. Don't know where that girl ran off too." He said to me politely, but I could hear the hint of anger in his voice.

I smiled nervously. "It's okay. I'm sure I'll run into her sooner or later. Have a good day Mr. Minnix." With that I was on the road again. I decided to pay my family a visit, despite the tension with Richie. He would be at work at this time anyway.

I spent the rest of the morning and some of the afternoon at aunt Gillian's. Aunt Gillian whipped up lunch for us. She even offered up some stories of when she was pregnant with Angie- the crazy cravings, the restless nights, and the constant need to use the bathroom.

"What's it like to give birth mama?" Angie's curiosity peaked as usual. I had to admit that I did wonder what it would be like, but I never had the courage to ask out of fear of getting a not so pleasant answer.