Prologue: The Beginning

I’ll be leaving notes in the beginning of every chapter to update you all on things related to My Five Bodyguards. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Boise, Idaho  

June 9, 1996   

 The rain poured down hitting the soft muddy earth. Thunder echoed through the forest and the lightning being the only thing bringing light in the darkness. The sounds of running footsteps could be heard and the heavy panting.

            A man ran through the forest dodging the trees blocking his path, not so far behind was another man running, his name Adam according to the clip on his coat. Their breath came short and quick from the fear of what chased behind them and what lies ahead. Another pair of feet followed theirs, heavier steps. The man in front looked behind him and gasped, the look in his eyes full of fear that only something indescribably dangerous could cause. The dark figure behind seemed like it was floating instead of running. As the man looked behind him once more, his foot became caught in an over grown root. As he fell, his ankle twisted in an unnatural way causing him to wince in pain and lay in the mud. Adam stopped by his side and picked him up. Seeing this hesitation, the mysterious figure quickened its speed, running faster completely oblivious to the rain that hit him like needles.

            The man managed to get up again, limping as fast as he could. His breath came quicker than before when he realized the figure was getting close.

            Keep running, keep running, don’t look back, was the only thing the two men could think of as they ran. The person who had fallen limped as fast as he could. It was quite obvious that they could not escape the figure any longer. The limping man fell once more, this time hitting his head on a nearby rock. Blood flowed down this forehead blurring his vision. This time he could not get up, even when his friend tried to help. Just in a second they found the figure standing in front of them grinning, his white teeth showing in the darkness.

            “Wha-what do you want?” the man forced the words out, shaking. The rain slowed down, but the thunder continued, giving the forest a mysterious atmosphere.  

            He man tried to get up but the figure kicked his twisted ankle and pinned him to the ground with his foot.

            “You know what I want,” he growled, annoyance clear in his voice. There was something the man knew that the figure didn’t. Something important enough that the figure growled loudly, echoing through the forest.

            This time Adam spat, “We don’t know where it is, Alexiou, why are you doing this…please stop. It’s not going to help you.”

            “Tell your useless assistant here to not play games with me griffin,” Alexious began, his voice booming, “you created it, you know exactly where it is. You have no clue how powerful that capsule is, with it we can do anything.”

Alexiou knew that the man on the floor, Griffin, knew where it was. He also knew that he wouldn’t cough up the information without a little push. So he pulled out a gun from his waistband, no one would have guessed it was hidden there. He pointed the gun at griffins head and circled his index finger around the trigger.

Alexiou grinned wickedly when he saw their expression turn into utter horror. This will get them to talk, though Alexious.

Seeing the gun pointing right between Griffins eyebrows, Adam blurted out, “It’s in his daughter!”

Realizing what his best assistant had just said Griffin continued, “Please don’t hurt her. We will do anything, just leave us alone.”

            “What?” Alexiou hissed, “Where is she? Tell me and I won’t hurt her.”

Adam had already made a mistake on telling him where the capsule was hidden, but Griffin knew he wouldn’t tell him her location and put his whole family in danger. Suddenly he felt angry, angry that he had even created such a thing. He knew there would be consequences, yet he went on to make something that could put the whole world in danger. All he wanted was to prove his team that he could do something, something that could change everything. But the only thing his “success” caused was danger.

            “I can’t tell you that, I don’t trust you anymore,” Griffin shouted, angry at everything.

Eyes widening in horror Adam cried, “Just tell him! I don’t want to die!”

Alexiou laughed manically and pulled on the trigger slightly, “Fine, I’ll just find her myself.”

            ‘NO! Don’t touch her!” Griffin cried, “I’ll bring the capsule to you myself!”

            “I’m afraid I don’t trust you anymore, partner,” Alexiou whispered, as he pulled the trigger. Two shots echoed through the forest…