Chapter 1 : The Deal

Song //Overture// By Black Veil Brides

I sit in a dark corner of a pub, the Prancing Pony in The Bree. I stare at the flames dancing in the darkness of the fireplace as I take a sip of my hot broth. The beauty of the orange and yellow dancers gaining my full attention in mesmerisation. I almost get lost in the enchanting flame, but my attention is quietly diverted, my eyes shooting up as a man walks past to go sit with his companions. Although he is clearly no threat, I pull my hood further over my face just in case. I'm not exactly the most loved person in the Bree, not saying that I mean to be. I've started fights and I've finished some which have spread rumours. I may be good with a bow and a sword but I don't feel like getting kicked out of the only place I can sleep tonight.

I take another sip of my broth and go back to looking at the fire, however, this time not letting my guard down. I hear the chatter of all the men with their friends, who are probably so drunk they can't see their own feet in front of themselves nevermind little old me. I roll my eyes as two men start to fight over something that I can't make out. I count down in my head as the punching begins. One of them will fall in three, two, one. I hear a loud thud as one of them fall to the ground taking a table full of pots down with him. I slowly turn to see one of the men on the ground with a large red mark on his face, no doubt from a strong punch. The other man, who knocked the man down gets asked to leave. He grabs his stuff and leaves without another word, a few groans of annoyance escaping his throat.

When I turn to face the fire again, I'm greeted by a tall figure dressed in grey torn fabrics. At first, I'm taken by surprise, my hand immediately reaching down for my sword, but I feel my nerves calm as I take in the familiar face before me. I'm greeted with a smile as my old friend sits down and places his pointy had on the table "Fancy seeing Gandalf the Grey here" I say crossing my arms, with a firm expression on my face.

This gains a light chuckle from the wizard "Fancy seeing you here," Gandalf pauses "Ivy" I stare back at Gandalf with my pale grey eyes, not taking any amusement in his comment. He doesn't appear to share the same expression as a smile spreads across his face "some fight that was back there."

"Yes, very amusing" I comment, not wanting to engage in small talk. I begin to tap on the table with my index finger, a funny feeling beginning to rush into my train of thought. Gandalf and I are old friends and I enjoy his company dearly, but, whenever he appears without any notice it's usually because he has something to ask of me. I usually like what he has to ask of me because it has something to do with adventure or some form of fun. However, a couple times he has asked me to do things that have got me on the wanted list of many towns, this habit putting a stick in my trust.

"Gandalf, what is it you want?" I ask getting to the point.

Gandalf's amusement quickly disappears, him knowing me too well to push with the masquerade. He wipes some dust from the table before placing his hands together in the centre of the table, his business stance, oh goody. He looks straight into my eyes and lets out a big huff, delaying the conversation like he always does. Typical Gandalf. He grabs his pipe out of his brown leather bag and begins to puff away. I roll my eyes, slumming further back into my seat. I know all too well that we could be here for a long time. I also know for a fact that, now, he is going to ask something hard of me.

Gandalf takes the pipe out of his mouth and lets out a puff of smoke which turns into a crow, earning a small smile from me "Do you remember Bilbo Baggins?" Gandalf asks, his voice suddenly seeming out of place in the silence that just passed.

I frown like he's said an insult. Of course, I remember Bilbo Baggins. Who could forget that fond little hobbit? I remember all too well the times when Gandalf use to go to the Shire with his fireworks, and myself tagging along with him. I loved the Shire and I still do. It's a lovely peaceful place where I can tell my tales and my adventures to the young hobbits and feel proud of my past. I met Bilbo when he was quite a little fellow. He was always fascinated by my adventures, he himself wanted to go on adventures. I promised Bilbo I would go on an adventure with him once he is older, I just haven't got to catch up with him for so long that I never got to keep my word. I wonder why Gandalf has brought him up...

"Of course I remember Bilbo" I answer "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering" Gandalf quickly answers taking another puff at the pipe before staring off into the distance. I stare at Gandalf with an unconvinced face. Gandalf looks back at me and sighs "Do you know Thorin Oakenshield?"

I raise an eyebrow at his question. I've never liked Dwarves. It's nothing personal it's just the fact that they are greedy, messy and impolite. I have no doubt that my eleven genes have made me feel this way about their kind.

Thorin Oakenshield, I've heard of him but I've never met him. I know that his Grandfather, Thror, was the King of Erebor, King under the Mountain. When I heard that Smaug had taken the mountain I wasn't surprised. Thror was pretty much asking for it with his obsession for gold and power. That is the main memory of any story burned into my mind of him. I had heard many more stories over time about his Son, Thrain and grandson, Thorin. They could be all but rumours for all I know and Thorin Oakenshield just a story if it were not for the sightings told to me.  

Gandalf stares back at me waiting for a response "Yes, I've heard of him" I curiously answer. What does Bilbo have to do with Thorin Oakenshield?

"Well, Thorin is on a quest to take back the Lonely Mountain" Gandalf takes this moment to puff on his pipe "with 12 other dwarves from the line of Durin. I have promised him that I would find him a burglar."

"Bilbo."

"Yes," Gandalf nods "but it seems that Bilbo has changed over the years. He has become more of a Baggins than a Took. Bilbo will need convincing to become the 14th Member of the Company of Thorin Oakenshield."

I take a huge breath starting to understand where Gandalf intends to take this "And you want me to, what? Convince him of all this madness."

"Exactly," Gandalf answers with a grin "I knew you would understand."

"You do know that, if, Bilbo has changed that he won't agree no matter what," I say fiddling with one of my arrows.

"I believe all he needs is someone to help remind him of who he is. That's all."

I shake my head. Why is it always me that happens to be used in a situation like this? It'd be bizarre enough to be asked to accompany these dwarfs on this quest nevermind just being a messenger for them! I've never been someone to sit on the sidelines and not to mention the lonely months I have just lived through with nothing but boring road and no serious destination, this would be a much better solution than continuing to mope around hoping for something to happen. Although I don't like the company being dwarves...It'll be a much bigger improvement than these townsmen. I can't let this opportunity slip!

I sit forward and lean my hands on the table "Ok. I'll try and convince him" I propose "But how about we make a deal?" I decide on the spot, no real time taken to think anything through. My adventurous spirit taking over my logical thoughts.

"Go on."

"If I do this for you and convince Bilbo to go, I get to come along for the journey. But if Bilbo disagrees I will take his place in the Company as this...burglar" I cringe at the word "Even though I hate dwarves so much, I'm bored and in need of an adventure. Besides sounds like they need all the help, they can get."

A smile stretches across Gandalf's face, I wouldn't have been surprised if this was his goal all along "Deal."

"So when do you want me to go convince Bilbo?" I ask getting my stuff together so I can go to my room.

"Tomorrow at mid-day," Gandalf states. Before I can ask any more questions, of which I have a few now that I begin to realise what I've just agreed too, Gandalf stands up, gathering all of his belongings in his arms without saying a word. He begins to leave as my eyes follow him, confusion suddenly taking over as more questions arise in my head.

Gandalf comes to a sudden halt as he remembers something "Oh and you will be having company for dinner."

Without another word, Gandalf disappears out the door of the Prancing Pony leaving me dumbfounded.