Chapter 1

I sat on my bed shaking as my nightmare replayed itself over and over again in my head.

“Run, Cali, Run, never look back” my mom's voice whispered. I can remember my mother's exact words as if it were yesterday. Those were the last words I would ever hear from her mouth as she was pulled away from me by our evil Alpha's guards. I remember siting screaming for them to release her and take me, but my mom had already admitted to a crime that she didn't commit and her punishment was death. I sat just outside our courtyard and watched the guards stab her with silver swords several times until her body went limp and just when all eyes turned to me my mother's words rang through my mind and I did just what she said, I ran and I never looked back.

The visions of that cold night frequently return, sometimes with reason, sometimes just as a reminder of where I came from and that I must always be alert and ready to fight and ready to run. Tonight the visions were flooding my mind with a definite reason. It had now been 8 years since that horrible night of my 16th birthday. I lived cautiously since that day. I rarely trusted anyone, I lived alone, I never stayed in the same place for more than a year or two, and whenever I sense the presence of other wolves I run.

Tonight the stench of other wolves, male wolves filled my little town. I didn't know why they were here, but there were a lot of them creeping around. Up until last week when they started arriving I was the only wolf in this small mostly farmland city. It had become my own personal little sanctuary. Whenever I felt like running I had all the wooded area and farmland to run on all by myself. I could run for hours enjoying the breeze as it blew threw my beautiful gray fur. If I wanted to just enjoy nature in my human form I could freely do that as well, and I never had to worry about unmated wolves. But I could smell all the young wolves in town and the smell was making me nauseous.

Normally whenever I feel other wolves getting near I just simply leave. But unfortunately for me over the last two years here, I grew very comfortable and I just started taking for granted that I wouldn't have a reason to run. I let my savings dwindle down to barely existing and now in order for me to leave it would require me selling my car or working longer and harder hours. I couldn't very well sell my car, it's not like it was a new model anything, but it was how I got around when I wasn't walking or running on all fours.

So here I am now picking up double shifts at Toby's Bar and Grill hoping to not be spotted by other wolves, just so I can make a few extra bucks to get away from this town.

Tonight like any other night I was scheduled to work as the night waitress. My small apartment was just a few blocks away from the restaurant, so as always I chose to walk to work. But unfortunately for me the streets seemed to be filled with several new wolves tonight and in my attempt to avoid any confrontations I ended up making myself late for about the fourth time this week.

As I got closer to Toby's I looked around Main Street and noticed there were so many more cars and people. The new wolves were definitely taking over, it was time for me to go. As I briskly crossed the street I bumped straight into a smiling new face.

“Umm...I'm sorry..” I quickly apologized as I tried to balance myself and not fall. The guy grabbed my arm and helped me stop bobbling around.

“Oh! That's no problem, pardon me.” he apologized, I took another look at him he still held the same smile, I picked up on his scent, yep he was definitely one of the visitors, but he seemed to be friendly. I glanced down at my watch and rolled my eyes. I didn't have time to figure this wolf out, I was now 15 minutes late for work, and I was sure Toby was going to kill me.