Chapter 4

I woke up to the sound of clamoring pots and pans. Still half asleep I dragged myself across the room and made my way to the kitchen, where I found Maddie rummaging through my cabinets.

            “Maddie –“ I groaned, “What are you doing?”

            Her head popped out of the maple oak cabinet and her face appeared to be disappointed. “I wanted to surprise you by making breakfast for us.” She replied while giving me a pouty face. “Where do you store all your food anyways? There’s nothing in here.”

            “You know I hate cooking and Chloe can find a way to mess up cereal. We just eat out all the time. There’s some stuff in our fridge – oh wait – never mind I think I used the last of the fruit and yogurt yesterday.”

            “Where’s the closest grocery store because after you nail your audition this morning we are buying out the store!”

            “Speaking of which, we should get going. Just because its not an open call doesn’t mean it still won’t be crowded. Your still coming right?”

            She gave me a big nod, so the bun on the top of her head bounced from her nose to the back of her neck. Maddie ran back into Chloe’s room and changed into a pair of light-washed jeans and a striped shirt that swished every time she took a step. Meanwhile, I changed into my typical black leotard and slipped on a pair of jeans, identical to Maddie’s.

            Before I could rush out the door Maddie’s hand blocked the door.

            “Eat first, audition second.” She exclaimed.

            “But Maddie we’re not going to be the first one’s there and I want to be early so I can warm up and –“ Maddie stopped me midsentence.

            “You can’t preform on an empty stomach and besides I really doubt anyone’s going to be there 3 hours earlier then asked, not even the casting people.” I gave a slight groan but Maddie just pulled me down the stairs, through the doorway, and onto the street, facing the opposite direction of the theatre.

            We stopped at one of my favorite breakfast places, The Breakfast Club; a spoof on that old movie, except this place actually had breakfast.

            “This place is so cute!” Maddie gushed, while walking towards one of the red booths.

            “Oh Kendall we should sit at the counter!” She exclaimed completely changing her direction, almost walking into a waitress carrying pancake stacks to booth number 5.

            The restaurant was adorable, that’s why I picked it. The place was quaint and not swarmed by tourists, probably because it was sandwiched between Macy’s and Urban Outfitters so no one really noticed it. The walls were covered in powder blue and white striped wallpaper and the floors with shiny white tiles. Light pink accents covered the walls, so it looked like the inside of a cotton candy machine.

            “Every time my family visits I always take them here.” I said to Maddie, who was peering over the counter. 

            “Oh ya! How is the Vertes family?” She asked, finally done exploring.

            “Riley just got back from her honeymoon three weeks ago and she’s house hunting in California. Charlotte’s expecting baby #2 to arrive next month and my mom’s trying to persuade everyone to move to Pennsylvania. What about you? What’s been happening in the Ziegler house?” I asked her.

            “Oh you know, the usual. Mackenzie’s at dance all day everyday, way more then we ever had to be there. I think she just won a title in the teen division but I’m not that sure. Meanwhile, my mom’s dragging Mackenzie to and from LA more frequently then we breathe, trying to get her a “big break”. It’s basically same as always, just without me.” She looked down at the tiled ground.

            The exact same thing happened to Chloe when she came back from visiting her parents.

            “Did you know that when you leave Pittsburg the world doesn’t just stop? Life goes on when you leave, probably moves even faster. I guess it’s a little selfish, but I thought they would be a little confused with what to do with themselves when I was gone. Guess I was wrong.” Mopey Chloe lasted for around a day or two before snapping back into reality. Maddie only took a few seconds.

            By the time our food arrived our mouths were both watering and my eyes were glued to the clock. My stare was interrupted by a plate of waffles being set in front of Maddie. I avoided ordering anything “heavy” in case I got nervous during the audition. Instead I ordered scrambled eggs and toast.

            I would’ve told Maddie to eat fast, but she was already doing it, stuffing a fourth of a waffle into her month and chewing it with satisfaction.

            When we both finished forking down our food, in record time, we paid the check and skipped out the door.

            “Oh Urban Outfitters! We should stop and take a look for a second!” Maddie exclaimed, but before she could lead us in I pulled her back and sent her in the other direction.          

I didn’t realize how nervous I was until I arrived at the theatre. Inside resembled a cattle call with a bunch of girls, who wore matching leotards, plastering numbers on each other’s stomachs.

            I walked up to the table handing out the numbers and was greeted by a woman with bleached blonde hair and brown roots sprouting from her head. I told her my name and she lowered her red glasses to the tip of her nose and gave me a quick nod along with a paper. Maddie and I were about to walk through the doors when the woman suddenly stopped us.

            Who are you?” She asked, pointing at Maddie.

            “My name’s Maddie Ziegler. I’m a friend of Kendall, here for moral support.”

            “If you’re not planning on auditioning you can’t go in there. Sorry, those are the rules.”

            Maddie’s eyebrows furrowed for a split second before simply replying, “Then, I guess I’m auditioning!”