Chapter 22

Wesley's POV

I was on my way  back from Kenny's. I just wanted to clear my mind from all this Valerie drama. I shouldn't get in the way of her relationship with Keaton. I love her but it's not fair to her. I guess me liking her is causing her pain and the last thing I want to do is hurt her. If we are meant to be together, then we will be together. It's as simple as that.

The radio was turned up loud and I was jamming out to the music. I saw an orange light ahead and I knew I could make it. I don't know why I was in such a rush to get home. I guess it's just one of my pet peeves. Why waste your life waiting at an orange light when you could be doing something else? Plus, it's not like this street is even really busy, I don't know why that light is even there. I made it though. Barely, but I made it.

I was going pretty fast when I took the turn into my road. I should have slowed down but I didn't. I couldn't have known she was going to be there. I saw her run into the street with tears in her eyes. She didn't even notice me. But I noticed her. I tried to stop. I slammed my feet on the brake but it wasn't going to stop soon enough. She lifted her head up as the screech of the breaks erupted. I heard a murderous scream right before I hit her.

I shot forward, being saved by my seatbelt. I just hit Valerie!? I unbuckled and ran to her side as fast as I could. "HELP! SOMEBODY HELP ME!" I screamed as loud as I could. Keaton was instantly by my side. It was almost like he was already outside... which makes me wonder what had just happened. Why was she in the middle of the street with tears in her eyes anyways? What did Keaton do to her? It looks like he was crying too. Well I mean I just hit her with my car... I was crying.

Drew came outside seconds after on the phone with who I am assuming was 911. "Yes... she was just hit by a car.... I think so... 17215 Elm Lane HB Cali..... Yes, please hurry." He hung up the phone and ran to her side. "Is she breathing?" He asked calmly but with worry clearly in his voice.

Keaton put his fingers on her neck looking for any sign that she was still alive. "Yeah. I feel a pulse, but it's small. They need to hurry." Keaton said with a shaky voice.

What do we do?" I said with tears coming down my face. She's barely breathing and it is all my fault. How could I be so stupid?!

“There’s nothing we can do Wes. We just have to wait until the ambulance gets here.” Drew said.

Keaton’s head shot straight up and looked at me. “This is ALL your fault Wes! How could you be so careless to hit her with your car? What!? If you can’t have her no one can? So you try to kill her or something?” Keaton screamed in my face.

Does he really think I would kill Valerie just because I couldn’t have her? Does he think I’m that cruel? I told him at the airport that I would back off as long as they were together. “You think I tried to kill her Keaton? What kind of person do you think I am? Do I look happy about this? I feel like shit dude!” I screamed back just as loud.

“Well you should because she’s like this because of you!” That hurt a little bit. Okay, a lot a bit. But I knew he was right. Why was I even speeding? I hit her with my car. I could have killed her. I might have killed her.

The ambulance showed up just then and pulled us aside so that they could get to Valerie. I mentally cursed at myself the hole drive to the hospital. Drew was driving because he was the most relaxed. I don't understand how he is staying so calm in a situation like this but he has always been the strong one during situations like this. Keaton was in the back tapping his hand against his knee. Something he always does when he gets stressed.

We arrive at the hospital in what seems like hours but is only about 15 minutes. We all rush inside to the front desk. Keaton and I can barely speak right now so I’m so glad when Drew speaks up.