Dream Seeker- Chapter Six

Instantly, the dreamers floated into the great ocean of space, later washing up on a rocky beach. Pulling seaweeds out of her hair, Gael stood up. The others looked confused. They walked between rock boulders as large waves crashed onto the shore.

"That was...unexpected." Pax said.

"It couldn't have been sooner." Marie said and they all laughed with the exception of Gael.

David turned to Gael, surveying her inquisitively. "Was there any connection between that place and Jonathan?"

The spiderweb markings in her memory twisted and shifted taking a distinct form. Agents in hazmat suits holding cylindrical bars scanned around the girl. Withered leaves fell in her hair, and as if she were infected with a deadly virus, none of the agents dared to touch her, none but one.

"I think so." She stared at her toes, plunging them deep into the seashell-laden sand. She sighed, feeling slightly tired.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Marie asked, gently.

Gael shook her head, the salt scented breeze moving through her blonde curls.

David advanced ahead of them, steering towards a lighthouse. "We should take shelter in there before things start getting crazy again." He said.

Gael stopped short. "Why should we listen to you? We know how great that worked out last time. I say we stay at the beach, the rift brought us here for a reason."

"With your luck, it's best if we stay somewhere we know no one can attack us. You always seem to be in the midst of danger." Pax said, casually shrugging his shoulders as Gael rolled her eyes at him.

"Anything and everything is possible. Pax is right; you'll be safer from a random attack in the lighthouse. We only need to stay there until we can figure out what's going to be our next move. If we don't start putting the clues together now, time is going to run out," David said.

"As much as I would like to agree with you and stay here, I got to admit he has a point, Gael." Marie said, smiling apologetically.

"Fine." Gael muttered, plodding through the sand with downcast eyes.

The lighthouse stood a close distance from the water. The tower was painted in white and black bands with a stone cottage attached to the side. They knocked on the wooden door several time just to be safe, and to their surprise, a bearded man opened it. He was wearing a white captain's hat and an old fashioned sailor's coat.

He examined them with suspicion." What brings you here?" he asked, slipping his hands into his pockets, clutching at something.

David spoke first. "We're lost."

The keeper narrowed his eyes. "How is that any of my business?"

Marie stepped forward. "Mister, we just needed a safe place to stay for the night. We thought this lighthouse was abandoned. Can we please stay the night? Tomorrow, we will be on our way."

"You look like castaways to me. I don't take strangers into my home. Bye." He began to close the door, and David stuck his foot in the way.

The man pulled out a revolver from his pocket, pointing it at David. "Do not provoke me."

David blinked "Can you at least tell us where we are?"

His tone of voice dropped a number as he looked at them with a somber expression on his face, his revolver still pointed at them. "This place has many names, some call it the halfway house, others call it limbo, but I call it the middle. Everyone that turns up here can never go back to the place whence they came, and if you stay, you never age or die. Time stands still in this island."