Dream Seeker-Chapter Seven

Gael heard the distant sound of voices, but they were muffled by a thick and translucent wall surrounding her body. She opened her eyes to the sight of a family sitting around a table. As if through a thin veil, she saw a woman sitting at the far end of the table with three children sitting opposite her. Two blonde girls with pigtails sat next to each other, one a bit taller than the other but not by much, and a boy older than both of them sat on their left. He resembled the woman the most with the same emerald eyes and dark hair. Slowly, Gael approached them and stopped as she realized they did not react to her presence. Gael realized there was something terribly wrong with this picture. The woman passed around a bowl of creamed corn to the toddler sitting on her right. The little girl was barely visible above the table as she reached for the bowl. Gael observed them curiously as they passed the bowl around the table, not noticing her.

She waved her hands in front of the woman's face. "Hello, can you see me. Can't any of you see me?"

The boy looked up. His young face twisted into an expression of fear and horror. There was something familiar to Gael about his penetrating stare.

"You can see me." She stepped closer to him. Drops of water pooled around her feet with every step she took. The boy watched her with his hands gripping the edge of the table.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. I need you to help me."

The boy pushed his chair back. His hand shook as he pointed at her. His gaze turned to the golden medallion hanging around her neck.

"I won't hurt you." She smiled feebly.

The boy leaped out of his seat. The other children turned to him as the woman stood up from her chair and put her arms around him.

"What's wrong with you?" The woman's voice sounded muffled and distant through the invisible barrier.

The boy looked up at Gael as tears ran down his face. "There's a lady standing behind you." He covered his face with his hands. The mother spun around, staring through Gael with a scowl on her face.

"I don't see anyone. What did daddy tell you about lying? You're scaring your little sisters."

"But mommy, there really is a woman behind you. She's all wet and pale."

"Hush." The mother placed her finger over the boy's mouth, her weary eyes blazing. "No more stories, you hear me, young man?"

The boy crossed his arms, pouting. "Fine."

"Now sit back down and finish your food." The mother walked back to her chair and sat down with her eyes fixed on the little boy. He settled back in his seat and glared at Gael.

"I'm sorry," she said." I don't think they can see me, only you."

He turned his face the other way.

"I know you're angry at me, but I need your help. You're the only one who can see me."

He watched her through the side of his eyes.

"I also know this is not the first time you've seen people like me."

"How did you know that?"

"What did I tell you?" His mother shouted from across the table. "Go to your room. You're grounded."

"I didn't do anything." He yelled back, slamming his small fist on the table.

"You were talking to yourself again."

"I was talking to the lady!"

The toddler placed her hands on her ears and shook her. "La la la la."