Chapter 7

7

KANAN AND Sabine neared the Imperial docking bay at last, but there was one problem with finishing the journey.

That problem, as usual, was the Empire.

The closer they got to the docking bay, the more bucketheads began to appear. At first, there were only a couple here and there, mixed in with the thin trickle of passerby, leaning against a wall, or having a good ol' time harrassing unauthorized traders (whom Kanan and Sabine would love to have helped out if they hadn't needed to remain inconspicuous for as long as possible). But then, as the rebels drew closer still to the Imperial docking bay, so many stormtroopers were milling around that Sabine and Kanan both began to feel particularly nervous - so nervous it was becoming exceedingly difficult to act as if they were everyday, completely innocent civilians.

Even worse, neither Sabine nor Kanan looked like everyday, completely innocent civilians. Sabine was definitely an unusual sight with her Mandalorian armor, which was painted in eye-drawing pinks and oranges. Kanan was an oddity as well, with his medley of dark green armor. And the blasters at their hips completed the image of two dangerous, troublemaking bounty hunters.

Aside from the facts that they were soon the only two people around who weren't Imperials and were obviously heading in the direction of the docking bay, Kanan and Sabine's appearances played a huge role in why the mission abruptly went as wrong as possible.

Sabine froze as a hand roughly grabbed her shoulder and spun her around. She found herself staring at a stormtrooper.

"Hey, bub! Care to explain what you and your friend are doing trespassing on Imperial property?"

Sabine quickly ran over her possible choices. Nothing she could say would be affirmable for long. That left only one ultimate option, which was extremely unfavorable, given the goal of investigating the Imperial docking bay for signs of Ezra and the sheerly abnormal abundance of bucketheads (seriously, this many troopers couldn't be explained by any increased rebel activity!...or...could it?).

"We... have some pre-purchased crates to pick up at the docking bay," she swiftly lied, glad that her face was hidden inside her helmet. She'd hesitated at the beginning of her fib and was wincing because of it.

The stormtrooper folded his arms, clearly enjoying this. "Oh, yeah? Prove it."

Sabine swallowed. She could feel all the other stormtroopers - there were dozens and dozens of them - watching her now. She slowly reached towards the twin blaster pistols holstered at her hips.

Another hand on her shoulder - a gentle one this time - stopped her.

Kanan.

Sabine stared, astonished and amazed, as the tall, dark-haired Jedi stepped forward and raised one hand, his gaze fixed on the stormtroopers.

"We are allowed to be here," Kanan said, his voice clear and firm and his angular eyebrows scrunched in concentration.

"You are allowed to be here," the stormtroopers echoed in a daze.

"You will go about your business and ignore what we do," continued Kanan.

"We will go about our business and ignore what you do," repeated the stormtroopers, slowly nodding in unison. Then they all began to walk around, paying no attention at all to Kanan or Sabine. A few of them bumped into walls and each other.

Kanan's knees buckled and he stumbled backwards. Sabine jumped to support him. "Kanan, are you alright?!"

"Yeah," he panted. "That... that just took up a lot of my energy. I won't be able to do it again, so let's hurry." He straightened, and they proceeded on through the pack of milling-about stormtroopers, Sabine continuing to support Kanan a little as they avoided colliding with any of the confused bucketheads.