The Rink - Part 2

Looking beside me I saw a male. He seemed very familiar, yet I couldn't place where I had seen him before.

"You don't remember me do you?" He asked as he corked one of his brown eyebrows.

I shook my head as I decided not to answer him because I was starting to feel shy.

"Griffin, from the Harvey Coffee. We met last night…"

I felt like smacking myself as I realized who he was. Parting my lips, I tried to overcome the shyness that was begging to take over my emotions "Oh ... Y-yeah..."

Griffin shrugged off my moment of stupidity at not remembering him and smiled. "So, you like skipping school?" He questioned.

I looked around the place and gave a single, small, chuckle. “I-I’m not skip-ping,” I told him.

Griffin gave me a look of disbelief. “You can’t lie to me, Skyla. I am Griffin, the all knowing.”

Looking at him like he was crazy, I glanced away and held back a laugh that was trying to voice its way out. I studied the rink that was in front of me and watch my friends laugh with one another and have a good time. With slight envy running through me, I sighed. “Ev-ever skated before?”

Following the direction I was gazing in Griffin looked out at the rink too. He inhaled and then turned his head to face me. “You can’t skate can you?” He asked with a small smile teasing his pink lips.

I decided not to answer his question. Instead, I stared directly at him. My eyes roamed over his face and I noticed that he had an odd resemblance to Andy Samberg. “You look like that actor / comedian,” I muttered in a low tone. “Andy-"

“Samberg,” Griffin finished as he cracked a wider smile. Giving a nod of his head, Griffin chuckled, “yeah, my brother says the same thing. I don’t see it though."

“Not even ... not even a little?” I questioned with hope that my shyness would go away soon because he seemed really cool to talk too. Running my free hand through my long, flat hair, I sat up straight.

“No, not in the least. Anyways, come on. Get your skates on,” Griffin said as he hopped out of his seat and looked at me. He crossed his arms cover his chest and gave me an expression that clearly meant he was waiting for me.

Studying him for a second, I noticed that he was wearing a black Soul Eater T-Shirt and dark jeans. I had to say that he looked really good and somehow he pulled off the outfit without looking like the stereotypical emo. “I-I don’t know how to skate ... you were right.”

“I know, you don’t know. So, get your skates on so we can both look like fools.” Griffin stated before lifting a pair of white skates he had in his hands.

I arched an eyebrow at Griffin. “You came to a skating rink and you don’t even know how to skate?”

“Guilty as charged. I thought I’d learn. Now, come on time is ticking,” he exclaimed as he pointed to his wrist as if there was a wristwatch there.

I gave a small giggle before racing to put on my skates. It took me awhile to get them on and I had to admit that it was all Griffin’s fault. He kept hovering over me and occasionally yelling at me to hurry up, which slowed me down because I found his crazy antics funny and couldn’t help but laugh up a storm when he shouted for me to hurry up.

Of course the girls came over once and asked me if there was a problem. Their eyes were trained on Griffin, which I knew they were asking if Griffin was bothering me. I shrugged them off and said he was a friend of mine and he was joking round.

Rosia made me smile at the fact that she mouth ‘Is he Jack?’. I told her no and shooed them back to the rink.

When I was done getting on my skate, Griffin quickly put on his and informed me that when we got to the entrance of the ice rink that I had to take off the plastic shield that was around the blade of my shoes. Nodding, I watched him rise beside me.

I started wringing my hands together in nervousness. “I’m not sure if this is a good ide-”

“Stop doubting your newbie ice skating skills. There is a such thing as beginner’s luck.” Griffin said as he walked in front of me. Holding out his hands, he gave me a small reassuring grin. “Come on, I will help you walk over to the ice.”

“How can you be so confident? You’ve never skated before!”

 Blushing slightly, Griffin gave me a look that showed me he had lied – he has skated before.

 "How good are you?” I asked.

 Running a hand through his brown locks, Griffin looked as if he had been cornered. “I’m the worst skater you will ever meet.” He spoke with falsehood leaking in each syllable of what he just said.

 I gave him an ‘as-if’ expression. “I don’t believe you.”

 Chuckling, Griffin looked down at me. “I’ve got a few skills, okay?”

 “A few? I’m starting to not trust you, Griffin…”

 “Fine … My mother was a professional figure skater and, I think, I was on the ice before I could walk.”

 “Great! I am going on the ice with a pro-skater…”

 “I’m not a pro … Now, come on let’s get out there!"

I sat still for a good minute before huffing, “if I fall on my butt, I’m suing you.”

As I rose from my seat, with his help, he laughed lightly. “I don’t think you can sue me. It is your free will to get on the ice.”

Ignoring his logically point, I stood tall. My knees felt wobbly as I tried to balance on the blades of the skates. When I started to lean more so to the right, I gripped Griffin’s arm for support. “Did I ever tell you balance is not my specialty?” I sourly threw a rhetorical question at him as I tried to stay standing still.  

“Look at me,” Griffin requested with a soft tone.

Glancing up, I arched an eyebrow, “huh?”

“Do you like hot chocolate?” He randomly asked me as he looked me directly in the eye.

I gave him a quizzical expression as I became baffled as to why he was asking me this question.

“My mother use to take me to this awesome pastry shop a mile or so from here. They serve the best hot chocolate ever. I have no idea what they make it with, because I have tried to recreate it, but I always fail. Maybe when we get done here you can get your friend to follow me and you all can come try it,” Griffin suggested. I opened my mouth to tell him ‘we’ll see’, but he cut me off. “Before you answer that, how about we skate?” He asked as he looked forward.

It was then that I noticed that we were right by the rink entrance. I glanced behind me to see the stands were about twenty feet away. With a shocked expression, I turned to look at Griffin, “you’re good.”

“Hmmm?” He inquired.

“At distracting people, I mean I didn’t ... I didn’t realize that we were walking ... Hey! I didn’t fall!” I shrieked in happiness.

Griffin smiled once more, “that was the plan. Now, lets take these shield off our shoes and skate!”