Age Ain't Nothing But a Number (An Urban Fiction)

P R O L O G U E

"You must be out of your damn mind if you think Mama is gone let you wear that out." My older brother, Truey continued making nasty comments while he watched as I continued getting ready for tonight. 

I rolled my eyes while smoothing out my tight black colored bandage dress. It fit like a glove and matched well with Mama's red bottoms. "I don't care, it's my birthday. Either way I'll find a way to wear the dress." I told my pestering brother before walking down the steps and inside the kitchen to face Mama.

For once I didn't feel like a kid anymore and if felt good. Mama's eyes almost popped out of her head when I revealed my outfit to her. She sat down at the island table taking a good look at what I was wearing. "You think just because it's your birthday you can walk around dressing like that? Now you know that's not about to fly with me baby." Mama shook her head at me waiting for me to walk back up the steps to change.

"Wearing my heels too? Girl, you really trippin' today."She rolled her eyes before pressing her cigarette back to her lips.

Deciding to not even argue with her, I slowly walked out of the kitchen and toward the door. If Daddy was home more often I wouldn't have even had to sneak out but he's always gone and Mama was always being so damn extra.

I quickly ran out the house and inside Sasha's new white Audi was parked outside. Getting into the backseat, sweet relief swept over my body after getting out of that damn house. Sasha was my aunt and at the age of only thirty was doing very well.

Jasmine was in the front seat with Sasha with her eyes glued to her phone. Jasmine was my cousin and acted exactly like her mother, Sasha. Jasmine and I were always known to be together and the two of us were often mistaken for sisters.

I always had a good time with Aunt Sasha and Jasmine but Mama can't stand them. It's only because Sasha depended on men to take care of her and she thinks Jasmine has a bad influence on me due to Sasha's "lack of parenting".

"Hey little rich girl." Sasha teased before quickly pulling out of my curved driveway. "What did I tell you about calling me that? We saved up most of the money anyway." Ever since daddy had hit the lottery a few months ago everybody has stayed calling me that.

"Girl please, y'all moved into an expensive ass house and I see them Loboutins you wearin', don't play with me." Sasha said as she turned up the volume on her music. "Happy birthday Nelly." Jasmine said as she turned around from the passenger seat and handed me a Love Pink bag knowing this was my favorite store.

Once we got to the mall, Sasha took us into Forever 21. "Y'all just call me when you ready to go, I'll be in Victoria's Secret getting me some new bra's." Sasha said as she strutted out the store getting allot of attention. Her huge butt jiggled through her True Religion jeans and her matching jean jacket was buttoned up tight making her breast bulge out.

Jasmine rolled her eyes. "She's so embarrassing."

Jasmine and I walked around the store seeing two cute boys staring at us right by the entrance. Only one of them stuck out to me though. He wore an all white, "Hustle & Grind" tee and some clean white pants, along with some shiny large earrings those rich boys wore. I must admit, I was looking cute. Jasmine was stealing the show though. She had on a tight Burberry shirt, that she probably had stole from her Mama and the tightest True Religion shorts I'd ever seen. "You wanna go over there?" Jasmine asked as we continued to look for clothes.

"Let me go check out first, then I'll see if I feel up to it." We both quickly walked toward the check out line before it got long and quickly bought our stuff. Mama was going to have a heart attack if she ever saw me wearing this but I don't care. I'm sixteen and should be dressing more mature.

Jasmine and I both walked toward the boys carrying the large bags in our hand. I spent the majority of my brithday money on clothes. "Aye, how old is y'all?" A boy with the curliest hair asked.

"18" We both lied. Well just me, Jasmine was already 18. Whenever we met boys, I always lied about my age. I looked much older than sixteen.

"Oh aight', can I get your number?" He asked looking at Jasmine. Her breast were bulging out her shirt and he couldn't keep his eyes off of her. He didn't even ask us our name. The boy in the white outfit continued staring at me not saying anything. "Aye bro, Yvonne coming over here." The boy is the white outfit said pointing to a girl walking toward us. She had about a million bags in her hand and I'm sure they weren't bought with her own money.

"What the fuck are you doing Ricky?" Yvonne shoved the bags in Ricky's chest. Yvonne looked at Jasmine and scoffed. "Get y'all little young asses on, they both got girlfriends." Yvonne said rolling her eyes at us. We both said nothing more and slowly walked out of the store.

I barged into laughter. "Did you see her harsh ass eyebrows?" Jasmine laughed. "Yes girl, they were scaring me!"

"Why you changing?" Sasha asked while her and Jasmine watched as I changed out of my dress and heels in the backseat. I knew I'd be getting my ass handed to me if Mama saw me walking insided the house with this on.

"She doesn't want that ass kicked." Jasmine said as both her and Sasha laughed. The two of them acted as if they were sisters and not mother and daughter since the two were somewhat close to age.

After putting on yoga pants and a loose fitting Victoria's Secret jacket, I got out of the car with my bags in hand knowing Mama would give me a mouth full once I got inside the house. Luckily Daddy's new Corvette was parked in the circular driveway.

He was so excited to buy the car once he hit the lottery and treated it as he treated me and Mama, like a queen. Walking inside the house, I could here Mama and Daddy going at it in the kitchen. "Don't even think about taking your little ass upstairs." Mama snapped.

I sighed dropping my bags by the door and sitting down at the island. "Hey daddy." I gave Daddy a warm smile before looking Mama into her eyes. "Mama."

"Where the hell have you been? You've been gone for hours and didn't even think to call me. If you're having sex you need to tell us." Mama was always so quick to jumping to conclusions in front of Daddy and it was so annoying.

"No, I'm not having sex. I just went to the mall with Auntie Sasha and Jasmine." Daddy shook his head towards Mama. "I told you not to stress about it."

"Your brother told me he saw you walk out the house with the outfit I specifically told you not to wear." Truey was 21, which meant he was too grown to stress about what I was doing. The outfit I had wore to the mall wasn't even that revealing and Mama was only upset because I had worn her heels.

"What outfit?" Daddy looked at the both of us. "She had on some tight ass dress!" Truey yelled from up the spiral steps.

Daddy sighed, taking a seat at the island. "The both of you need to relax. It's Chanel's birthday, let my baby have some fun."

Mama rolled her eyes. "You're always doing that, she needs to be checked sometimes Marcus!" Getting up from the table frustrated, Mama stormed off upstairs.

"Baby, you've got to tell your mom where you're going to be. It's not much to send a quick text, you're always on that damn phone anyway." Daddy said before following behind Mama.

Some birthday.