Chapter Twenty-Seven: Heart of a Ghost

                Deniah felt sorrow and shame deeply as she walked beside Gray Skies. The forest and mountain paths were pitch black to her eyes but she knew that Gray Skies could see and so she simply followed him; trusting him.

                She had no idea why the man loved her so. She had cost him everything. She had cost him his brother, the love of his father, the love of his people….

                Deniah sniffed back her tears and Gray Skies stopped walking, turned and pulled her against his chest, “Do not shed tears, Fire Hair.”   

                “But Gray, I have cost you so much.” Didn’t he realize that!?

                “You have cost me nothing. Bear Claw chose to jump in front of that bullet and the choice to leave my people to come to you was mine alone. You bear no fault in that decision.”

                Deniah sighed and buried her face in his soft deer skin tunic as her teeth worried at her bottom lip, “I should have let you go. I should have lied and told you I did not love you so. Then you could have stayed with your people….”

                “Foolish woman,” Gray Skies shook his head and kissed her hair. “I would not have believed your lies. We have known one another too long. I know your mind, I know your heart just the same as you know mine. Do not trouble yourself over what we are leaving behind but instead look at the future. We have one another Deniah and no one can take that away from us.”

                Lightning lit up the black sky from miles away and thunder rumbled in the distance. Gray Skies pulled away from her and took her hand in his, entwining their fingers, “Now I must find you shelter for the night before the storm hits.”                

                “Where will we go?”

                Gray Skies remained silent and thoughtful. Then he glanced down at her and sighed, “I see you attacking your lip once again,” he grumbled and she flushed guiltily and forced herself to stop her chewing. “What is on your mind?” he asked gently.

                “We cannot live among your people and neither of us wish to live in a town among my own. Why do we not go back to my family cabin? It is small and simple and miles from anything. It can be our own place away from the harsh judgments of others. There is food in the cellar and the fields have already been readied for planting.”

                Deniah saw a flicker of unease in Gray Skies’ dark eyes but then he nodded, “Yes, we can go there.”

                “What’s wrong?”

                “Nothing,” Gray Skies assured her but Deniah frowned and put her hands on her hips.

                “Do not lie to me, Gray Skies. It pains my heart when I know you are being untruthful.”

                “I never want to pain your heart, Fire Hair,” Gray Skies assured her. “I.. I simply worry that there will be many bad memories for you at that home.”

                “Perhaps,” Deniah found herself chewing at her lip once again and shrugged one shoulder, “But there are many good memories there as well,” she lay her hand on his sharply angled cheek, “That is where I met my crow.”

                Gray Skies covered her hand with his own and smiled, “Then let us go there.”

                Deniah followed Gray Skies as they once again began walking, this time with more purpose as they actually had a true destination. Deniah was surprised how well Gray Skies seemed to know this path but knew she shouldn’t be. He must have covered these mountain miles hundred, perhaps even thousands of times to come and see her.