Chapter Fourteen: Memory Loss and a Burning Question

                The air left Matthew’s lungs in a rush as consciousness returned to him and pain returned with it. Never had he had a headache quite like the one he was experiencing. Not one single night of drinking at the tavern in town had ever caused this kind of throbbing, skull-piercing ache inside his head. What the hell had happened?

                The bed he was on didn’t feel right. Had he fallen asleep in town? It certainly didn’t feel like his lumpy mattress in the cabin loft. He moaned as he shifted and it caused the pain in his head and body to worsen and nausea to swirl in his gut.

                “I think he’s waking up.”

                Matthew’s eyes flew open at the sound of the unfamiliar female voice and he immediately regretted that as sunlight flooded his senses and caused the pain to intensify threefold. He gripped the sheets tightly in his fists and squeezed his eyes closed once again.

                “Get back, Jessica. Do not crowd the man. Head injuries can make a person act very strange.” a man warned.

                Matthew moaned in pain and frowned. Head injuries? When had he injured his head? The last thing he remembered was heading into town to get Deniah a sack of flour since he had spilled the last remaining flour she had in the dirt by accident—and he’d planned on getting that fabric he’d seen her eying the last time she’d gone to town in an attempt to help make up for his mistake.

                “Sir, are you okay?” that female voice spoke again. It was a pretty voice. Soft and sweet sounding.

                “Where am I?” Matthew whispered. His voice was hoarse and cracking and his throat felt tight and dry.

                “Open your eyes, sir, and take a drink of water,” the woman urged.

                Matthew opened his eyes much more slowly, allowing them to adjust to the change in light. “Close the curtain.” He rasped as sunlight assaulted him.

                Matthew heard heavy footsteps move across the floor and then the light was gone. Finally Matthew was able to clearly look around the room. It was a small room and he was lying on a narrow bed in the corner. There was a tall middle-aged man with a heavy build standing beside the now closed window curtain. The man had blue eyes which were studying Matthew carefully from behind a pair of spectacles.

                And then beside the bed was an angel—or at least the closest thing to one that Matthew had ever seen. She had big blue eyes, pink lips and golden hair that was all gathered back on her head. Her cheeks seemed to have a natural flush and she had the tiniest of clefts in her chin. A brilliant smile lit her face when she saw him look at her.

                “Finally!” she exclaimed, covering her mouth quickly with a dainty hand as Matthew winced. “I was quite worried. You’ve been unconscious a very long time,” she informed him in a much quieter voice.