Into the Fangorn Forest

The four stood at the edge of the Fangorn. All stared in in disbelief about what they were all going to do. They all expected someone to go first. No one expected themselves.

So they stood there in silence at the outer line of foliage, staring. And the trees stared back as if daring them to come in, seemingly whispering amongst themselves. Four warriors afraid of trees, though none would admit it.

Lessien thought better of standing about, if this would lead her to Merry and Pippin, she would go. To the ends of the earth even, for her dear friends.

Stepping into the darkness, her companions followed.

Bracing themselves, Lessien stared at the sky for as long as she could manage because she knew she would miss it. As soon as they had traveled the little distance into the forest it seemed they were in the deepest part of it but that wasn't the case. Still, it was shrouded with darkness and some fallen tree trunks littered the ground like fallen soldiers on the battlefield. Moss draped in front of Lessien often and she batted it away.

Her sharp ears could hear the trees groaning. Not as a house does in the night but as an exhausted elderly man, as if they were very much alive.

They followed the path of the small hobbits' steps and all were uneasy, though Legolas seemed sad.

"Legolas, what do you remember of these trees?" Lessien asked.

"This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory and anger. The trees are speaking to each other," He replied absentmindedly. "Gimli! Lower your axe. They have feelings, my friend. The Elves began it many years ago, waking up the trees, teaching them to speak."

Lessien could not look away from Legolas. It was something in the way he talked. It was as if he was a wise old man.

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk-" Gimli began but she stopped listening.

She felt that spark in her heart again towards Legolas but stronger this time.

"Aragorn, something is out there!" Legolas exclaimed, catching her attention.

"What do you see?" Aragorn asked.

"The White Wizard approaches," Legolas replied darkly.

"Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us! We must be quick." Lessien joined in on the conversation.

Everyone tensed, their hands on their weapons.

As if they could communicate wordlessly, they brought out their weapons and aimed towards where they thought Saruman approached from.

They fired or hacked into the white blinding light but their blows and arrows were blocked. Lamely, they ceased attacking.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits,"a deep voice spoke from the light.

"Where are they?" Lessien questioned fiercely.

"They passed this way, the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" the man they thought to be Saruman said, as if he was mocking them.

"Who are you? Show yourself!" Aragorn exclaimed.

Granting their wish, the light slowly faded and as it faded the speaker came into view. Lessien could not believe it, she thought she had surely slipped into a state of madness or grief. Or both.

For it was Gandalf, his old face the same but his hair and beard white.

"It cannot be. Forgive me. I mistook you for Saruman," Aragorn gasped and beside him Legolas knelt out of respect.

Lessien leaned against a tree, feeling the pain in her knee more intensely. She was astonished, her head too full with thoughts for her to speak.

"I am Saruman. Or rather Saruman as he should have been."

"You fell!" Gimli exclaimed.

"Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as the life age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt light in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done," Gandalf finished solemnly.

"Gandalf!" Aragorn came again.

"Gandalf? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name," he said softly. "I am Gandalf the White and I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."

Turn of the tide, the words echoed in her head.

Now he spoke to her, "Lessien." Gandalf paused. "Or rather Eve. I have heard not of you."

She tried to lean away from the tree but her knee was failing her. "I am sorry, I thought you fell. I thought you were dead, Gandalf. You brought grief and laid it onto me. You left and when you did I fell apart."

While she said this she did not meet his eyes.

"My dear child, I never left you," Gandalf said softly.

"Then why did we lose all hope when you fell?" Lessien inquired accusingly and the White Wizard replied not.

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins. War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed," Gandalf insisted.

"Edoras? That is no short distance!" Gimli huffed.

"We heard of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king," Aragorn explained.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured," Gandalf said.

"I think that even our company couldn't travel that distance to Edoras, I know a place we could rest," Lessien suggested, thinking of home.

All eyes fell on her, eager to hear her next word.