Chapter 20

Alan's POV

"Good morning, Carlile industries, Jess speaking, how can I help?" Jess' voice chimed happily over the phone. But it wasn't that fake kind of cheer you usually got when people answered phones, that was one thing I liked about her, her cheer and smiles where always genuine.

"Jess, it's me, Alan."

"Alan? Where the hell have you been? I've not seen you around here in like three months and well, Austin seriously hasn't been himself, did something happen?" Her voice suddenly went from cheery, to hushed, so anyone around her didn't hear what she said.

"It's, uh...complicated." I let out a light chuckle at my own remark, complicated didn't even cut it.

"What happened?"

"Long ass story, I'm on brake so I can't go into it, plus I really don't think Austin would appricate divulging his staff in details of his personal life."

"No, you're quite right." Jess let out a small laugh, she knew as well as anyone, Austin liked to keep his life outside of work that way, may god pity you if you tried to question his personal life. Naturally he allowed general chit chat like 'how are you?' and 'what have you been up to?', things like that, but if you worked with or for him, don't even try and get details. "So, what can I do for my favorite little ginger? Did you want me to put you through to Austin?"

"Oh no, no, don't even tell him I called, I was wondering if you could check if he had any engagements over the weekend, business dinners, parties, meetings, so on and so forth."

"I can indeed, planning a suprise are you?"

"You could say that yeah."

"Alrighty, give me a second..." I could hear Jess typing furiously over the phone, making the occasional 'uhhh' and 'hmmm' as she did, I had to stop myself from laughing. "No, he's clear, he has an appt with is personal trainer Saturday morning at eight A.M, and he's in a meeting on Friday which is due to finish at half 6 in the evening...though that kind of meeting usually over runs so I would say more eight by the time he actually leaves, but aside that, he's clear."

"Thanks Jess, that's perfect, I can't get a flight that gets in til nine P.M on Friday anyway, you're a star."

"Flight?! Where you flying from? Are you not living in Cali anymore?"

"Uh no, I moved back home after my exams, as I said it's complicated."

"Well that explain's a lot, and hey, whatever happened with you and Austin, out of all the staff, I probably know him best...he's a complicated man, I'll give him that, but he has a good heart in there, he just...he doesn't always show it, so I hope whatever is going on, you can both get through it, you two are cute as hell together, I totally ship you!"

"You what?" I asked, throughly confused.

"Ship you...route for you, wave pom poms around saying 'yeah cashby'."

"Cashby?!"

"Yeah, that's the ship name I gave you both, it's his surname and your surname combined...if you want to include your first names, it's Austlan Cashby, got a nice ring huh?"

"Wow Jess, remind me...how old are you?" I laughed out loud, it was possibly the most farfetched thing I'd ever heard, though she had a point, it had a good ring...well the Cashby part anyway, wasn't too sure on the Austlan part.

"Shhhhhh, look I work with a bunch of pretenious, stuck up, goody goody's, let me have my fun. And for the record, I'm twenty five, twenty six next week."