On and On

Pocahontas with a twist!

Her wild eyes looked at everyone surrounding her, making contact, leaving no one. Surely there was someone who would come forth and help? Or did they all think her a savage? The strong men carrying her did not stop what seemed like a death march. On and On they went. Far off into the distance, she could see a limb and leaf-less tree rising up over the crowd. Is that where they're taking her? She tried again to tell them to stop, but they spoke in a different gutteral tongue than hers. And every time she spoke them seemed to be more disgusted by her. Angry, frustrated tears streamed down her face. She wriggled around in the merciless grip holding her, struggled against the bonds tying her hands and legs. Even when her ancestors filled her with the great power that comes to any tribe-member in need she could not break free. Finally she gave up, too worn out and empty of hope. 

Soon they reached the tree, which she found to be a tall pillar of wood, with kindling underneath it. She wasn't exactly sure what it's purpose was, but soon realised she didn't want anything to do with it when they started to tie her to it. The white people formed a circle around her, leaving distance between them and the kindling. They shouted words she could not understand, but the rage and hatred on their faces told her everything she needed to know. She would never be accepted. Once more, tears ran down her face. And as she saw a man come forward, a lit stake in his hands, it dawned on her what was about to happen. Renewed vigour flashed through her body, outrage burning in her head. She screamed, not words, just an endess scream. Where was he? Why hasn't he helped her? He should be here...

**********************************

Laughter filled the small valley. The sound of splashing water and small shrieks. Two people swam in the clear river that ran through the valley and into the ocean. One was brown skinned, the other, slightly bronzed, but obviously white. 

Words were not understood by each other, they were from completely different worlds. She was the daughter of a tribe cheif. She ran with wolves, and sung with birds. Nature was her best friend, and she knew each creature and plant by name. She could hear the wind whisper secrets in her ear, and heard the cry of the earth when the white people landed. 

He was a sailor, and had quite the adventurous spirit. Not satisfied with England, he set sail. He caught the girl's interest with his gentle consideration of her land. He didn't dig holes into it like the other's did. He was different. 

Then the time came when he told her he would be leaving. He begged her to come with him, she begged him to stay. Neither wanted to budge. They held each other, weeping. What could they do? They spent their last night together, sleeping on the soft moss beneath a tree. She knew her tribe would be worried, but this would be the last time she saw him. They parted, one last meeting of lips and then the agony of watching him walk away. He wouldn't set sail for another day, but he had a lot of work to do.

She walked slowly. Head bowed. She would never, could never, feel completely happy again. Not when her heart was in the posession of another. Only he could decide when she was happy again. She walked past the pile of rocks that marked the border of her tribe. She wasn't surprised when 3 or so figures appeared around her. She knew they would be waiting... Worried. 

Her father's relief was short-lived when he found out where she had been. Then there was endless anger. But she was proud of the love she shared with her lover. It was pure. Her father did not understand. Then he gave her news that shattered her already broken body. He had made arrangements for her to wed a warrior from another village. Her eyes were filled with shock and betrayal, his with determination and disappointment. She pretended aqausition. And right then and there she knew where she would flee to. She would say goodbye in her heart. 

***************************

Why wasn't he here? Her eyes blurred with tears and smoke. She could not wipe her face because of her bonds. She thought she could see his face through the black soot, but it must have been a hallucination. Already she had inhaled too much smoke. But, no! It was him! She saw him through a clear patch in the smoke. He was here! He would save her, and she smiled despite of her situation. All was well, he would take her home, and this would never happen again. It took her a few moments to realise that no one had spoken on her behalf. Maybe he didn't realise it was her, she looked at him, trying to make eye-contact. His eyes slid to hers before quickly sliding to the side again.

What was that... Didn't he know who she was? She went to call out to him, but then she realised what was happening. He was purposefully not looking at her. He knew who she was. And still did nothing. And it all came together in her mind. By speaking for her, he would risk his own life, then they both would be dead.

Who would look after their new-born child? 

A feeling she had never felt before came over her. The only way she could describe it was accepting that she would die, and willingly die for her loved ones. It was a powerful feeling of love and despair mixed together. Yes, she will die for them.

She nodded at him. Her face empty. The last few minutes of her life she spent looking at the face of her lover. Remembering everything they had endured together. And though the flames had started to lick at her skin, she did not feel it. For her heart had already stopped.