Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter 21

I jumped back. The sudden blast of scorching heat hit me like a brick wall. I could feel my make-up melting like candle wax, dripping down my face.

“Down there?” I shouted.

A cacophony of agonizing screams howled from the flaming abyss. Impossible! There was no way anything could survive in that.

“Jump . . . Child of Light!” a familiar voice commanded.Evil laughter hissed all around me, enveloping my senses like a snake swallowing its prey. I was being consumed by a mysterious pull . . . luring . . . summoning . . . drawing me in. “Jump!”

I stepped back in alarm. That voice . . . it wasn’t my father's! Despite the extreme heat, I suddenly felt chilled to my core. And then I knew. It had been him all along helping me each step of the way: Offering spells I’d never heard of, giving me the confidence and strength I never had. He wanted me here. Alive! And I’d practically gift wrapped myself for him. This was it. If I wanted my father and Antonio back, there was nowhere to go . . . but down!

“Evie, what are you doing?” Roland wrapped his arms around my waist and was dragging me from the fire’s edge. “You’ll be killed!”

I struggled to break free, hot tears streaming down my face.

“No!” Havoc sprang to my shoulder and kicked Roland square in the nose, causing blood to spurt across the back of my neck. He howled in pain, releasing me for his face. “If she doesn’t go, they’ll be lost. We'll all be lost.”

I took a deep breath and leapt. “Acqua!” I wasn’t a total fool. If I was going to jump, there was no way I was jumping into a pit of flames—water on the other hand was a safer alternative—if only I knew how to swim.

I broke through the water’s surface and sank like a rock, spiraling down deeper and deeper. I tried to push the panic of drowning from my mind and let myself drift, knowing that soon I’d be reunited with my father, and hopefully, Antonio. I prayed they were safe.

At that instant it felt as if a thousand knives were plunging into my stomach all at once. I screamed out in pain, taking water in. Note to self: Only a dumb ass opens her mouth to scream when she’s submerged in a seemingly endless pool of water.

And that’s when I saw a figure moving toward me, reaching out and then grabbing for my arms . . . I was being rescued. Roland, the fool, had dived in and was pulling me back to the surface.

Although I wanted desperately to accept his help, I shook my head violently, signaling him no. I had to keep going down, hopeful that the one who wanted me so badly would not let me drown.

Aeras! I screamed mentally. We were suddenly suspended in air. Our eyes met for an instant. I could actually feel the shock emanating from Roland. And then—free fall!

“Ahahh!” There was no need for me to scream. Roland was doing enough for the both of us. Besides, I was too busy choking up water. We clung to one another like a pair of professional skydivers as we plummeted downward.

“Anyone got a parachute?” Havoc and Chaos were heading our way, shooting through the air like bullets. They slammed into my back like buckshot—I didn’t think I’d needed to pack a bulletproof vest this trip!

I cried out, taking the full brunt of the impact as we came crashing down, literally at what could be none other than Satan’s feet. I moaned. This was so not good.

“At last we meet . . . Child of Light.”

I scooted back, plowing over Roland as I retreated—who, by the way, tough Slayer that he is, had in turn scrambled over me in a clumsy game of leap frog. Such chivalry!