Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18

“You said you knew where my dad was?” I tried to get us back on track.

“Yes. Chaos said your dad is being guarded by the Daimonas. And that guy Roland, your boyfriend, he’s there too.”

I choked on my snack. “Roland? He’s dead! Antonio killed him!”

I looked behind me. Antonio looked as confused as I was.

“Oh, he’s not dead. The pixie’s are playing with him,” she spoke excitedly. “He’s not much fun though. Chaos says he cries a lot.”

“No. I saw Roland turn into a gargoyle! Antonio stabbed him in the head!” The memory made my stomach churn all over again.

“He killed a gargoyle, but not Roland,” Havoc reminded me.

“The Daimonas do not keep survivors,” Antonio insisted. “The real Roland has to be dead.”

Havoc shrugged her shoulders. “They took Roland in the hopes that the Child of Light would come looking for him. They thought he might be dear to her . . . that was, until they captured her father. Now Roland's of no use to them so the pixies—”

“Wait a freaking minute!” I had to catch my breath. The real Roland is in Hell, waiting for me to rescue him?”

“You really are slow, Child of Light. Haven’t I been telling you that? Now, enough free information; anymore will cost you.”

I gnashed my teeth at her. If Roland had been captured by the Daimonas and switched with a gargoyle . . . “then who kissed me in The Kitchen?”

“I don’t think that is relevant right now,” Antonio warned, clearly uncomfortable with the topic at hand.

“The hell it isn’t!” That was my first kiss, and I had to know if it had been with a human or a beast from Hell! “Havoc?”

She huffed. “How would I know who kissed you? Perhaps you should be pickier with whom you choose to lock lips with. Really Child of Light . . . gargoyles, Mageians, Guardians! Is there anyone you won’t kiss?”

I gasped. “That’s it!” My patience snapped. I jumped up and ran the length of the branch. Antonio was on my heel. The branch protested as we neared its tip, cracking under our weight—and so did the base of the tree.

Our tree toppled, crashing into Havoc’s. We literally jumped from our tree into hers, dangling our feet in the air, inches from sharp, snapping Borgon teeth.

“Well, that’s just great! Now the little beasts will start gnawing on my tree!”

“A little help here, Havoc?” I grunted, trying to swing my foot onto the branch.

“Oh, you want some help do you? Just a moment ago you wanted to kill me. And don’t try to deny it!” She folded her arms and turned her back to me, sulking.

“Fine, I won’t kill you! But you’d better help us or I’ll toss this gold bracelet to the Borgons!”

“Gold? Real gold?” She licked her lips.

“Of course it’s real gold.” Now I was offended. “Do you think I’d own—?”

“Havoc!” Antonio grunted. He was struggling himself, burdened with our packs as well. How smart of him to grab them. He shot me an exasperated look.

“Oh, all right. I suppose I could help,” Havoc admitted as a sly grin crossed her face. “It’s going to cost you though.”

“Havoc, please!” My arms wouldn’t hold me much longer.