Chapter 28

The very last day of the year had arrived and for some reason, Carter was feeling a bit emotional. He was sitting at his desk in his room, silently watching the sunset from his window. The orange colored sky, merging with the yellow of the sun, was a beautiful sight and the sun was slowly starting to disappear behind the horizon of the sea. He was excited for the countdown of the new year. Chris had called him a few hours ago and invited him to watch the countdown and the fireworks show on the beach. Of course Carter was looking forward to it; he had always wanted to spend New Year's Eve with his friends, watching the fireworks.

Josh had spent the night again but had left a few hours ago to be with his father again. Carter was glad that his parents were so acceptive of his relationship with him, which made him intensely happy. It was all he wanted, really. Even though he also wanted his friends to be supportive of their relationship, his parents were a good start.

There was only one more pressing matter to occur; Paxton.

According to Chris, Paxton doesn't remember seeing him together with Josh, though Carter knew that there was the possibility that he could in fact remember it, but was too afraid or shocked to talk about it to Chris. Or that maybe, very maybe, he thought he had dreamt it. Either way, and whether if he remembered it or not, he had to be told as well. Alongside Melanie, who most likely also wasn't aware of his relationship with Josh yet. Unless Chris had already told her. Carter wasn't too worried about Melanie, actually. Her personality was very similar to that of Chris, so he figured she'd be just as calm about it.

Thinking about all that had happened and changed within a year, even less than six months, was almost astonishing.

Within six months, he had moved back to Port Hayland after five years, he came out to his parents after all those years of hiding and lying by omission, he got together with Josh and his friends found out about their relationship by accident as well. Both exciting yet scary things had happened this year and Carter almost couldn't wrap his fingers around it. Right now, the only thing he was worried about was Alyssa. She was still furious at Josh and at Carter as well most likely. He wasn't sure if she'd also come to the fireworks show tonight, though either way, she already knew the truth.

+++

By the time evening had fallen, Carter had already made himself ready to go out. The weather was chilly so he wore an extra layer of clothing underneath his Christmas sweater, not caring less that Christmas was already over. The sweater had a few stars sowed into the design as well so he figured it was suited for New Year's as well.

When the doorbell rang, he quickly made his way downstairs to leave with his friends. He heard his mother talking on the phone with someone while his dad was watching something on the television.

"I'll call or text when I come back," Carter called out before he walked up to the front door. He knew there was a very big chance that he'd spend the night at Josh's boat but he wasn't entirely sure.

Upon opening the door, he was greeted with the sight of Melanie standing on the porch, and for as far as he could see, Josh, Paxton and Chris sitting in the car. In the distance, Carter could already hear numerous fireworks exploding.

"Happy soon to be new year," Melanie smiled and hugged him. Carter returned her hug with a smile and looked at the car.

"You too," he said as he let go and they walked off the porch towards the vehicle. "Are we all ready to go or are there still people coming?"

"I'm not entirely sure if Alyssa will come, honestly. I called her and she just said "maybe"." Melanie said, giving a light shrug. "She'll come if she wants to. That's just how she is, I guess."