Avarta's Dystopia: 2084

© Copyright Sweetdreamer747 2013, All Rights Reserved

**A/N: What's up Dreamers?! Think I'm on a role with all these short stories? Are you thinking 'oh when is she going to get back to The Light Keeper or The New Chapter, etc... I WILL SOON! Sometimes it helps me to step back from my work and gain a new perspective rather then ring my imagination dry..aka writers block. I Love You Guys and thank you so much for taking time out of your lives to read stories by little ole me :3 I really do appreciate it!

As Always, VCFS...Peanut Butter and Gram Crackers <3

~Sweetdreamer747**

~Avarta's Dystopia: 2084~ (A Sweetdreamer Short Story)

The reinforcers cock their guns. I can almost hear their fingers land on the trigger. Leon and I exchange glances, and in his eyes I know he's saying he is relieved. He is relieved that he didn't die as a pawn in the Watchers game, but rather, against them. Just like that, I feel peace settle in my chest. This entire realization in a matter of a few seconds.

With this acceptance, I close my eyes.

"Yield your weapons!"

They snap open again...

I live in a society ruled by an organization known as the Watchers. They are never seen or heard but they are the ones who enforce the laws in the regions. The World is divided into four regions: North, South, East, and West. I live in the North region. The regions are characterized by a large underground dome chamber that was a network of halls, rooms, and more- built to fit millions of people. There are 6 main grids, you are placed in a grid by your age and in that grid you are sorted alphabetically into districts where you will live. Since I am 17 I am placed in the fourth grid under district B. I remember two years ago when I was placed into the district.

"Avarta Beindel, please step forward and receive your new number."

I come forward, across the stage, from the line of citizens behind me that are also being placed to receive the number stamp on my wrist. Finally, I was in the same district as my brother Leon who came a year before me. The only thing was, Leon wasn't so welcoming. The older one gets, the less food they receive and more work they must contribute to the region. That day I also received my schedule along with a new government-issued uniform to be worn every day. I was relieved, as the old one was getting too tight.

Since Leon and I were siblings, we were granted permission to share a two bedroom quarter, as did anyone else with a relative in their new district. You are never allowed to leave your quarter unless directed by the intercoms. Once you are allowed to leave you have to follow a schedule of when to eat, work and go to daily assemblies.

My first night in the district and I already couldn't sleep. The nightmares were coming back. The nightmare's always have an underlying link in common between them. The reinforcers.

They were the ones that truly kept things in order as the eyes and ears of the Watchers. Their mantra being: We lay in the shadows. They took away both of my parents. My dad was drafted by them for the war and my mother was murdered before my eyes.

Normally, the parents were taken away from the children in district three at the age of seven. But I was 5 and my mother was ill. One of the rules in the region is that we have to be rid of any possible contagions so whenever someone becomes sick, after a certain amount of time they are shot.

I lay in bed and anxiously wait for the announcement that we may leave our quarters. Then, in a brief moment, I hear a shrill cry followed by a gunshot. And again, silence...

I count the minutes, one, two, three and after ten the announcement came. I jumped out of bed and put on my grey overalls and did a slight once over of myself in the stained mirror. Dull, long brown hair along with my pale grey eyes and my pale olive toned skin. I didn't look any different from anyone else. We were all under the florescent light and we walked on the same animated grass. I continue to the door where my brother was waiting for me.