Hollow- Chapter 9

I sat upright in bed, my breathing fast and ragged. I tried to get up, but the wires and weakness made it impossible. I wanted to hug Luke, I wanted to reassure him. But I couldn't. The walls were pure white, so was the floor, the bed, the desk... The Doctors uniform...

"I have lung cancer?" I choked. It had sunk in. I have a month to live. Four weeks. Around seven hundred and twenty hours. 2,628,000 seconds on average. Each one ticking by...

"I'm afraid so, Miss Morgan. I recommend spending as much time as you can with your loved ones. We would offer a lung transplant, but it would only make you weaker." The Doctors words were cold, expressionless. I imagine he gave news like this all the time. Every single day. But he carried on, almost like he has been given a script and he's a very bad actor, "We think it's best if you go home, enjoy life, get to say goodbye." I still couldn't believe what he was saying- like he was reading a fictional book and I was listening to someone elses life. But I wasn't. I am dying, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

I heard Luke choke on his silent tears, and I turned my eyes to look at him. He was a mess, clothes creased, hair messy and eyes puffy and red. He's devestated.

"Lukey boy, come here." I said, and gave the dismissed the doctor with a grimice. Even though it wasn't the Doctors fault, I still did it. Luke made his blind way to the bed, crying with no more dignity or care of his Mother seeing him. Infact, his Mum was helping him to my pure white bed, before she left with the doctor (with a sharp tug and glare of "Give them some privacy.")

"Liz, I don't want you to go. I-I.... I love you Elizabeth Jocelyn Morgan. I always have. When Mum told me, after you left once, that you drew me a picture. I was an angel, and that you were standing holding my hand. We were ten then, and Mum says that she keeps a whole folder full of the pictures you drew me. I don't want you to leave me before I have ever even seen you! Liz, you have never cared that I am blind, you see past that! You see me as... me. It's my fault; I didn't notice that you had lots of coughing fits. I just thought... after your Mum... it was normal. IT'S MY FAULT!" Luke gasped and chocked on tears as he stuttered the words. He loved me, Luke loved me. It was here, on my death bed that I realised.... I love you too. And now I feel empty, already dead and hollow. But my thoughts, each and every one, is of your blind eye. How you never saw me, and never will. I love you, Luke.

"Lukey boy, I-I love you too! I can't believe that I didn't know it. Deep down I knew that this was more than childhood friendship. Don't ever think that this is your fault, ever! Cancer..." I choked on the word, "Is something no-one can predict or help. Please, don't cry. Sleep, get in my bed." I didn't care how wrong it sounded, I needed Luke.

So Luke wordlessly wobbled to my bed, lay next to me and cried himself to sleep. He looked so peaceful, exactly like the angel I thought him to be. But I couldn't handle looking at him. I leaned down to kiss him, and it was wonderful! Sparks flew, like the missing part of me was right next to me. The most perfect person to walk the earth, despite his flaws. The little angel that has to suffer what I leave this world.

But his unseeing eyes opened, and his lips parted- kissing me back.

So we kissed, until we fell asleep in eachothers arms. But there is something I need to do before I leave him....