Scamming the Prince: Chapter 10

I want to leave. I've been here about forty minutes, and yet I still have to endure more time. The dinner party hadn't even started yet and Jennifer, the King's adviser, kept strolling in and out of the kitchen with a complaint for something. "The vegetables still look raw," she said looking over my shoulder to the boiling pot of stew I had boiling on the fire.

"I just put them in the fire," I replied with gritted teeth. It was hard trying to keep my temper around Jennifer, and it wasn't only me, she irritated everyone in the kitchen. 

"The liquid seems too runny . . ." she said running a spoon through the food. Now I was pulling at the end of my rope.

"I'm sorry would you like me to--" I was interrupted by a pencil-thin man with chalk-white hair bursting through the door. 

"Bring out the dish waters, the guests have arrived," he boomed in a surprisingly loud voice. He exited again and everyone took their time filling up the small wooden bowls with sink water. Jennifer's face turned a bright scarlet color after seeing our pace,

"Did any of you fools hear him?! Bring out the dish water! It's a wonder how any of you can keep your jobs," She sent us all one lingering glare and stormed out the room. Joe walked over and handed Emilee and I a tray filled with soap water. Were these people really that important they couldn't wash their hands at a sink like other people?

"I can't stand that woman. I hope King Nicholas rids of her immediately," I heard one of the chefs mummer to the one next to him. 

The three of us walked out the room and began handing out the small bowls with nothing but faucet water in them. Everyone began dipping their hands in the bowl without looking up at the water once. One man I served grabbed my arm and motioned me closer. "Will you be a dear and get me my cane? Blasted butlers went and left it outside." he told me in a low voice.

"Um..." I paused and looked at Emilee and Joe, they looked like they were doing pretty well without me, "Sure, I'll just get it after I'm finished handing this out."

"Thanks, child." he smiled up at me and I walked away. After handing out my last bowls I put the tray back in the kitchen and walked down to the entrance of the palace.

"How many times do I have to tell you, you over-sized idiot, we cannot murder him yet! It's much too obvious," I heard an irritated female voice say softly from the closed door next to him. I stopped in my tracks and looked toward the door. Murder? Quietly, I pressed my ear against the door and listened.

"You're right, but now is the time to strike him. He's vulnerable right now, he still hasn't got over his father's death so he'll be too weak to fight back. Or he won't put up a fight at all," a male voice said.

There was silence for a while then I heard a sigh, "Nevertheless we can't do it yet. Good will come to those who wait. Come, we must leave." I stumbled away from the door and practically ran down the hall so they wouldn't see me.  

When I arrived at the entrance door two guards were standing there and as soon as I came into sight they went into defensive mode, glaring at me as if they could turn me to ash.