Scamming the Prince: Chapter 2

Despite all our problems dad was a very religious man. Every Sunday he went out his way to bring us to church. Whenever he prayed it was always the same three things; Sophie's health, my safety and, the impossible one that made you want to cry, to bring mom back. Once an old lady from the church heard him praying about mom months after she died and after church she confronted him about it,

"Ronald, I hope you don't think I was eavesdropping but I heard you praying," she had told him, "Alice died four months ago, I don't think she's coming back. Why don't you pray for something more beneficial? Like help finding another wife for these children. You have a better chance meeting the king!"

"Thank you for your words Gina, but I don't have any needs to be getting married. Alice might be gone to you, but for me she'll always be around," he answered her before taking her hands, shaking them, then walking away.

I'm still mad at her for suggesting we replace mom. Today, though, was a Thursday service. They always had one every first Thursday of the month and I was going to pray that I somehow find money for the rent in two days. "Melanie, is Sophie ready yet?" I heard my dad's voice radiate from the living room. 

"Almost!" I shouted back. Then I went back and lifted Sophie up on her bed. I presented her two shoes, a white one and a black one. To be honest, they were the only shoes she had. "Alright, which will it be Sophie?" I asked her while I dangled them in front of her. Sophie put a pale, tiny finger on her chin and proudly pointed to the black ones. 

"What about the white one? They match better, see?" to confirm my point I held the white shoes against her bright lavender dress. Stubbornly, Sophie shook her head and pointed at the black shoes again. I shrugged and slid the selected shoes to her feet then stood her up.

I held her hand and walked her out the living room. Dad was running a comb through his gray hair, at his age the gray hairs should only be the front but with the stress accumulating on him his hair turned completely gray. As soon as Sophia spotted him she snatched her hand away and ran up to hug him. 

"Great, you're ready. Mr. Kelly should be here in few moment's time. All your stuff are packed, am I correct?" dad asked while bending down to scoop up Sophie. Yesterday, dad went out and came home with four large boxes to put our stuff in but since we didn't own much we only filled up two--appliances and clothes. He'd completely lost hope in finding money for rent and was prepared to move out. My hope was dwindling by the hour.

"Yep," I sighed. Why has he given up hope so easily? Why wasn't he scouting outside to look for a job to pay the rent? I found myself staring disapprovingly at him. His eyes were hallow and lifeless, and his smile seemed plastic and heavily forced, as it always did. He was but a shell of a former self. 

Dad squeezed Sophie one last time before putting her down and beginning to turn. Midway through his turn he spotted my gaze and gave me a questioning look, "What's the matter, Mel?"

"What's the matter? You're just giving up the house! Why can't you find another job?!"

"Melanie," he began to say as his face grew rigid, "You know as well as I do how hard it is to find a good-paying job right now."

"That's because no one complains to his royal highness," I said the last words sarcastically, "If someone reminded him there are living people outside the rich and noble lifestyle maybe he could do something!"

"Melanie, you can't blame the royal family for everything that goes wrong--"

"Of course I can! It's their job to make sure everything goes right."

"Melanie. That's just childish."

"No, it's not. The King has an obligation to his kingdom to answer any and all problems. He can't go around pretending that everything is fine! A quarter of his country is in poverty," I swung my arm around to showcase our house, "and he just goes around like everything is fine!" 

"I'm finished with this conversation, Melanie," he told me just as a car horned sounded outside. He went over to Sophie, who was sitting on the couch watching our dispute, picked her up and calmly walked out the house. He did that a lot now, just abruptly and calmly ended an argument and walked away or busied himself with something else.

"Hello Sophie!" Mr. Kelly boomed when he saw Sophie. He jumped out his horse-pulled wagon and walked around it to us and circled around it to pick up Sophie and swing her in the air, making her laugh. "Hey Ronald, how are things? I heard that landlord is after you again," he said in a quieter voice after he seated Sophie on his waist.

"Yeah, he is. In fact, on Saturday I'm out the house. I can't get the money anyway possible, I'll be out on the streets. I was thinking of living in some community shelter until I can find a house." dad replied while scratching the back of his head.

"Nonsense, come live with me! I got plenty of room, Abigail wouldn't mind; she loves little Sophie and Melanie. And you don't have to pay rent!" Mr. Kelly said taken aback.

"I can't just invade your home--"

"You wouldn't be invading their home, dad. They're inviting you. There's a difference," I interrupted. Dad shot me a quick irritated expression before turning and continuing to speak to Ronald,

"As I was saying I just can't do that. It's not right, I just can't barge in with my property for free. You'll get fed up with me in no time."

Mr. Kelly stared at my dad for a long time before letting out a long breath and nodding understandingly. He wasn't supposed to agree so quickly, he was supposed to continue to try to persuade dad. He opened the doors and all of us crowded in the small, antique car.

I was happy when the ride was over, it was slow and quiet and the atmosphere was depressing. When we got to the church everyone was already up and singing their hymns in perfect sync. The lyrics seemed like it should've been an uplifting song but the heavy sounds of the organ made me want to cry.

"There are some seats, right there," Mr. Kelly whispered and pointed the back row. Except for the small family already seated at the end of the row, it was empty. We quietly made our way there and sat down. Dad took a hymn book and placed it on his lap as Sophia swung herself lightly next to me. 

"You may now rise," the priest said. Immediately, everyone stood and I helped Sophie, who was now having problems with her balance.

"Please turn to Psalm 31:24, Be of good courage and--" in the middle of the priest's speech there was a loud thud. Everyone stopped, including the priest and turned to see what it was. I, however didn't want to see what it was because it was dangerously close to me. Fearfully, I turned to Sophie's side. She was sprawled out on the floor, passed out.