Chapter 3

Morgan didn’t follow me and I was glad because I didn’t want to see his ugly face. Just before I entered the house, I stood on the lawn to squeeze some of the water out of my clothes and hair. I walked inside. Just as I started climbing the stairs, Kai emerged from the lounge room.

“I see that you have gone swimming,” Kai said. “How’s the water?”

I frowned at him and walked up the stairs to my room, slamming the door shut behind me. I opened my suitcase and looked through to see what I could wear. I decided on a blue denim skirt and an orange t-shirt. I peeled the wet clothes off me and put on the dry ones. I wonder what Morgan is doing now after he threw me into the water. He probably finds someone else to throw into the water.

I walked downstairs carrying my wet clothes and walked outside to search for the clothesline. I could have asked Kai where it was, but I couldn’t be bothered to ask him.

I spotted Morgan coming from the forest as I went around the side of the house. He looked like he had gone swimming. I frowned at him, still mad at what he did.

I went around the back and found the clothesline in the backyard. The peg bucket was on the ground beside it. I grabbed some pegs and hung up the clothes before disappearing to my room again. I lay on my bed, listening to my iPod.

Hours past and I could smell the meat loaf and baked potatoes Mum or Kai was cooking. I felt my stomach grumble a bit. I didn’t really eat lunch at all. I didn’t like the food they were serving on the plane. Mum soon came to get me for dinner.

“Can you please try and be nice to Kai, Taylor?” Mum told me before we walked out of the room.

“Fine,” I said as I pushed past Mum and walked out of the room, rolling my eyes.

“Good. I really need you on your best behaviour. We are having some guest over for dinner and I don’t think they would like it if you were being disrespectful.”

I turned to her. “Guest? What guest? No one has told me about any guest.”

“It’s just some of Kai’s neighbours. They live just next door to us.”

I stared at her. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. Great. It means I have to see Morgan. Grrr! Why is my life getting worse by the minute? I think Mum and Kai enjoy torturing me.

“I’m not hungry,” I said. “I’m going back to my room.”

I started to head back to my room, but Mum blocked my path.

“Taylor, please don’t start this again.”

A knock came from the door.

“Please be on your best behaviour, Taylor,” Mum warned me.

She turned and walked down the stairs. Kai came and answered the door just as Mum reached the bottom of the stairs. Kai greeted a red-headed woman. Standing beside her was Morgan. I rolled my eyes and headed to the stairs.

Mum greeted the woman and Morgan. She introduced herself as Linda. They moved out of the way so Morgan’s Dad could wheel the kid in the wheelchair inside. The man introduced himself as Mark and his son Travale.

Travale. What a stupid name. Where on earth did they come up with the name? Couldn’t they at least come up with a more descent name?

“This is my daughter, Taylor,” Mum introduced me as I walked over to them.

“Hello, Taylor,” Linda greeted me, holding out her hand for me to shake. I stared at her hand. “Kai has been telling us a lot about you.”

I could feel my mother’s blue eyes piercing through me. I forced myself to shake Linda’s hand and then her husband’s. I shook Travale’s. I didn’t want to shake Morgan’s hand, but I did just to be polite and so my mother doesn’t yell at me. Morgan squeezed my hand hard. I tried not to wince at the pain because I didn’t want anyone to know he was hurting me. To get him back, I dig my nails into his skin and he quickly released my hand. We eyed each other.