001

I close my eyes and remember a heart-wrenching memory that had happened during our final meeting.

    "You remind me of the sun," he said as I intertwined our fingers together. I felt a glimmer of sadness in his grey eyes as he looked at me before staring down at our hands.

    "And why is that?" I asked.

    The cold winter air drifts in the atmosphere, sending shivers running up and down my spine. I place my head on his shoulder, as he gently rubs his thumb over my fingers.

    "I could simply call this moment I had with him, perfect. But I believed it was more than mere perfection, I believed that it went beyond that. Nevertheless, I was so wrong, and now this memory would forevermore be etched into my mind, replaying constantly as if the repeat button in my head was broken. But I wish it wasn't."

    I heard the distant sound of the fireplace trying to warm up our freezing surroundings. I glanced back towards him as he began to speak.

"And I really wish I prepared for words that he was about to say."

    "You're always so glowing and radiant," he paused.

    "Always so bright and happy," his faint smile disappeared from his face as he said those words it was as if it had left a bad taste in his mouth.

    "That's why we can't be," he let go of my hand and sighed.

    "What are you talking about, James?" I frowned a bit and looked at him. My eyes started to well with tears.
What he was saying didn't make sense at all.

     "I can't do this anymore, Eli. I just can't." he said as his voice shook while he slowly stood up from the carpet.

     This can't be happening. Thoughts swirled around my head, making me feel light-headed.

     "I'm not the right guy for you Eli, I'll just hurt you again, and I can't live with this constant regret hovering over me when I see you." he kissed my forehead and quickly grabbed his coat from the rack.

      "You've never hurt me before, but you leaving me right now is hurting me, so don't do this. Stay, please?" my lips quivered at the sight of him walking away from me. I felt tears rushing towards my cheeks and onto my sweater.

     I looked at him, and he looked at me.

    "I was with someone, Eli. And damn I really wish I could say that it didn't happen, that nothing happened between us but I would be lying," he paused one last time before heading out the door.

    "Wha-" he cut me off.

    "You deserve someone who's so much better than me. Someone who wouldn't go behind your back, someone who wouldn't do this to you. I'm so sorry, Eli." he opened the door and left me in tears.

     I felt myself aching for the love that will never be mine.

     I felt myself yearning for the moments forever lost in time.

    I felt my body collapse as I hear the car's engine start.

    He's forever leaving me with a bucket full of tears and a broken heart.