The Third Act

Everyone believed I had the perfect after-school job. Judgingly I had to concede that with excellent pay, plenty of outdoor time, the job itself was enjoyable.

I was a part-time farm hand, employed to work the Green houses. Green houses are always warm and humid, most of the days are spent working picking and pruning produce, but there was always  lots of variety. A small amount of each day involved the hydroponic systems and boiler rooms, and my evenings always ended with a trip to the market.

For my young fit body, it felt like a healthy job. Working hard, a gentle sweat in the heat, always fruit to eat, the tired ache in my muscles at the end of the day. Working on a farm, there was never a shortage of work and like any farm the job is constantly changing.

I had thought that the pattern was pretty well established. I worked my weekends and at least one, if not two nights a week, for delivery purposes. Delivery time however become the stress in my working week.

 On my delivery nights, I became the only help that was required. As always, I now sat in the middle seat of the cab, with boxes pile high in the passenger side. He rode with his hand on the shift between my legs. The pattern was set. I learnt rather quickly that if complied he only kissed me, the less I protested quicker it was over, the less attention drawn my way. I needed the money and I had hoped naively that he was beginning to lose interest.

One day there was a change in the pattern.

I arrived home from school, to see him standing on the porch nodding happily with my mother.

He looked at me and smiled, I felt a shiver run up my back. "thought I had better check with your boss before I sprung the news on you" he says with a grin, winking at my mother. "Delivery nights are now Fridays, and you will be staying Friday nights on the farm".

I stood stock still. He smirk spread to his eyes.

" What about my friends" I said lamely, knowing instantly that was the wrong excuse.

"Your friends would give their hind legs to have a job like yours, young lady" my mum began to lecture me. I was too stunned to think of a reply.

I knew instantly this changed things.. I had incidentally lost my "I need to get home" excuse. More worryingly, I was to spend the night in his house and it felt wrong. I watched the way he interacted with my mother, they way she touched her throat happily, the beaming smile. I remember thinking to myself  "surely not,  he is so charming?, he wouldn't upset my mother?, I'm sure I'm safe.."   

It was agreed that it was more convenient if I stayed overnight. From now on I worked till about 11pm Friday evening, I then stayed overnight and worked from eight until five the next day.

                                                 What I learnt : Never become complacent.

I was provided with a small simple bedroom, clean twins beds which still had the seventies style brown and orange bed covers, and burnt orange throws, it smelt a little dusty, but otherwise tidy.  The weekend bedroom came complete with empty drawers for spare clothing. The nature of the job meant getting grubby was far from unheard of. The following Friday afternoon I dutifully unpacked my clothing, and tucked a book in my top drawer.

That night deliveries were held off until after evening meal. The afternoon in the green houses had been hot and sticky, and I was wearing short cut off jeans and a singlet. For the evening meal, I'd thrown on some flip flops and had a quick wash knowing there was no point getting changed as the delivery process was still a dirty job. At the sound of the truck horn I had taken off downstairs, stopping only to grab a hair band, in the hope the cool evening air would cool my body. Seeing the truck empty, I jumped into the cab and waited patiently.

" looking lovely as always" He commented, as he swung into his seat.

"Warm night" I mumbled quietly as he turned onto the road.

As I settled back for a normal drive, I noticed the weight of his arm resting on my thigh. I silently gazed out the window watching the dark country scene give way to urban sprawl.

I felt his hand move first to my knee, my breath quickened. Reflexively I swallowed, his hand moved and began slowly stroking the inside of my thigh. I held my breath, I'd frozen on the spot.

"I've decided that we need to spend more time together" he said matter-of-factly "Your new hours will give us what we need"

 I shuffled a little instinctively trying to distance myself. His fingers began to trace the hem of my shorts, I felt the blood rush to my face, ashamed, blushing furiously. "you really are very beautiful when you blush like that"

As the truck pulled into the docking bay I let out a sigh of relief. Smiling coldly he leaned in and pressed his lips to my neck "You can't hide from me anymore" he whispered. Grabbing my chin in his right hand he stared at me, then laughing mirthlessly, he climbed out of the door.

That night I slept fitfully for the first time in my new bedroom.

Lunch was served 1230pm sharp. His wife runs a smooth kitchen, food is always abundant - grubby workers are not. That morning was a particularly filthy morning. One of the boilers need emptying so I was covered head to toe in soot. I knocked off at 1215 to head for the showers, in the hope of getting to the hot water first. There were two showers, both of which were in the hall near my new bedroom. Hoping not to hold up the traffic, I grabbed some fresh underwear and was in the shower, covered in soap before I heard the rest of the team wondering in. Neither shower room door has a lock.

As I turn off the water I heard knocking on the door " sorry, nearly out.. two seconds" I yell. I move the screen door and step onto the matt, the door suddenly flies opens. He stands there staring at me as I scramble for a towel to cover myself. Purposefully He grabs my wrists in front of me, to prevent me moving. "I didn't hear your reply" he quietly states, as his eyes roam uninvited over my body. "Please let go and I did so" I retorted turning my body from his view.

"hmmm, well not good enough, anyone could have walked in here..."

He just stands there, silently watching as I shiver. Time grinds to a halt. At first I tried to pull free, then slowly, inevitably, I just stand there. I'm shivering but I know the room is hot and humid from the shower.  Hours pass.  I stand there, distracting myself, trying to forget my nakedness... mildew on the little window sill behind the shower.. wallpaper pealing in the lower right corner..  some white fluff stuck to the bath matt... Time ticks slowly.

 He slowly licks his lips. "turn and face me, Now" he orders.

"I um.. the others need the shower, they will be here... ." I whisper

He cuts me off angrily "You will turn Now, or God help you young lady!"

Slowly I pivot to face him, humiliated, beetroot red, shivering..  Slowly holding both my wrists in his left hand he lifts my arms up, well above my head, his eyes soaking up my body. I watch as he slowly bites his lower lip.. considering what he sees...

Cheeks burning in shame I look away.

Without out warning he releases my hands and turns to the door "Hurry up would you, the rest of us need the shower and no one wants a cold lunch" he mutters over his shoulder as he closes the door behind him.