Chapter 1

• Dedicated to J.K. Rowling

Dedicated to the one and only J.K. Rowling for the amazing feat that is Harry Potter.

DISCLAIMER: J.K. Rowling owns this amazing world and characters. I only own Evan and Elliae, and the other OCs to come in later chapters.

EVAN

 I stared at the parchment with great intensity. My eyes were watering with the concentration. I was absolutely still, entirely focused on my goal.

“Move,” I whispered. My dry lips formed the word slowly as they continued to mouth the word, over and over.

“Move,” I repeated softly. The parchment didn’t so much a twitch.

“MOVE!” I yelled at the object. I punched my fist into the spongy surface of my duvet. It had worked yesterday. And then it had been a book, not to mention I wasn’t holding a wand. Now I couldn’t even get a lousy piece of parchment to fly two metres across the room.

A brown cap suddenly whipped into my face. I pushed it aside and looked up to see my twin sister, Elliae, grinning at my doorframe.

“How did you do that?” I demanded, gripping the cap in my fist.

She twirled her brand new elm wand around her fingers, “Just a little something I picked up.”

“From who?” I inquired, eyeing her new wand enviously. I’d gotten stuck with my dad’s old wand. It had been in the family for generations, passed on from father to son. It was a stupid tradition, and one I was not happy to be part of. Mum had tried to convince him that it ‘maybe wasn’t such a good idea,’ as ‘wands are unique to their master, and Evan should find the wand that is meant for him,’ but dad wouldn’t listen. He gets like that sometimes.  So now I had this crappy hundred year old wand with ‘history’ and she had a fancy brand new one. So not fair.

She smiled and pretended to inspect her nails. “Toby taught it to me,”

I groaned. Toby was the most arrogant, self-important kid I knew. He was the sort of person who thought that his opinion was automatically correct and anyone different from him was inferior. He also happened to be my sister’s best friend.

“Elle…” I protested.

She poked her tongue out at me. She knew how I felt about him, and also didn’t care.

I looked at the dirty brown cap in my hand and tossed it at her. “Where’d you get this thing anyway?”

“Found it,” she said, trying to say it as casually as she could. But I knew her too well.

“Where?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

She tugged at the bottom of her shirt. “Just…around.”

“Elle, you know what mum says about-“

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” She rolled her eyes. “But your not gonna tell her about it, are you Evan?” She looked at me expectantly.

“Well…” I sighed. See, my sister had this habit of collecting things she found. Dirty things. Lost things. Muggle things. She had this whole collection hidden in her room where our mother couldn’t get to them. I had no idea why she did it. It wasn’t that she needed the stuff, she just wanted it for some reason. It was definitely not a healthy habit, and one our parents were doing everything they could to break. Unfortunately, that wasn’t much.

“Evan please,” she pleaded. “Don’t tell mum.”

I bit my lip. I didn’t want to rat her out, but it was partly my responsibility to. She had to stop this, and the more my parents lectured her the more she’d realize it was wrong. Or so we hoped. But looking at her innocent, pleading face, I knew I couldn’t tell on her.