Chapter 4

I walked to the main entrance of the shooting range. I had hoped that I would be there first, but at the same time hoped he would be there before me. Showing off my new dress I strutted to the rose bushes that instructed you into the range to a map.

As I was strutting I saw John standing in the most charming outfit. He effortlessly wore it. When he saw me he smiled.

"Hello Celia. You are looking quite stunning this morning."

"You do too, but in a much more manly way of course," we both laughed a little.

"Do you have a specific spot in mind to go?" Ok he was a gentleman with devilish good looks, could dance, was sort of funny. He interrupted my thoughts continuing his, "I do not come here very often, but I assume you do."

"Yes I do, and I think I have the perfect...."

"Celia!"

Both John and I turned around sharply. My eyes caught someone, but they was running very fast and was darting around bushes and things so I could not quite see who it was. Then the blurry figure stopped in front of me.

"What do you...umm I mean... Yes Noah?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt this little playdate, but your mother needs you right now." He looked over at John, "My names Noah, and yours."

"John."

"Well, nice to meet you and sorry to interrupt but Pris...Celia needs to come with me right now. Trust me I'm doing you a favor."

And with that Noah started running again.

"Sorry John. I guess..."

"Celia!" Noah called again.

"Bye," I quickly said as I began running to follow him.

I ran as fast as I could and followed Noah to the library. From outside the doors, I could hear my mother weeping. Noah opened the doors and motioned for me to follow.

"Its ok, honey. I know its hard." Uncle Caspian's wife, Linda, was comforting my mother.

The scene inside was depressing by the looks of it. My mother rarely cried and right now she was weeping.

Noah and I stood there awkwardly, not exactly knowing what to do. Uncle Caspian walked over to us and took us to the door. We followed him outside and he shut the doors softly behind us.

"We have just received terrible news."

I had a worried look on my face and assumed Noah did too.

"Priscilla, the reason you have not seen your father is because he went to go command a small war on the southern side. We assumed that it would be safe, so we didn't bother make it public."

My brain was thinking it but my mind didn't want to believe it.

"You father was shot early this morning. We received word of it not too long ago."

He reached out for a hug, but I turned in the opposite direction and bolted down the hallway.

Faintly down the hall I heard, "Let her go Noah."

I ran and ran as fast as I could into the garden. I kept going until I came to the hedge maze. I went inside and, knowing it all by heart, went to a certain dead end. On the other side of the hedge was a lonely bench that I had always gone to to think about anything, happy or sad. When I was there, sitting on the bench, I felt alone yet crowded by the hedges. Like being surrounded by people who only make a noise when a breeze is blowing. I sat down on the bench and curled up into a little ball. Right then, I started crying. I cried and cried for a little while, till I heard a rustling in the hedge. The branches behind me started moving and a body emerged from the hedge.

This "body" came and sat down on the other side of the bench. I didn't bother looking over, because I didn't care who it was.

"You ok?" I knew that voice, it was the voice from last night. It wasn't extremely low like Johns. It was a happy medium and soothing. It was Bens, I mean Benjamin's.

"No to be honest with you." I wiped some of the tears away.

"Oh."

I giggled.

"Did I do something funny?" I looked over for the first time. His face was hilarious, he was so confused.

"No, no. I can just tell that your not asking any questions yet you really want to. And you made the right choice."

"Really?" He was so cute right now.

"I, uh, just found out my father died. In the war. In the south."

"Oh. I'm really sorry. But, I don't want to be like others and just say sorry."

"Thanks that means a lot," I looked at him again. His blue eyes searched my face for a sign or any clues, "But, I don't know how much you can do.

He moved much closer, "Well if you need anything I'm right here."

"Thanks."

He softly grabbed my chin and turned my face towards him, "I mean it."

He had warm blue eyes, they weren't "sharp" like Johns. Benjamin's completely mesmerized you. They brought you into a whole 'nother world, a world much better than mine now.

He let go of my chin, but our eyes didn't turn away from each other. I leaned in signaling to him, "Its ok." He leaned and and our lips touched. It was a magical moment that stopped in a split second.

"Thanks," I whispered.

"So umm what now?" He asked. I don't think there was an answer to that question and he knew it too.

"So umm those other plans?" He looked at me.

"I was carried away from them to hear some bad news." I looked down remembering my father and my thoughts started going crazy again.

"Were they with a guy?"

I laughed slightly, "Yes, but I don't think it would have worked out," he looked relieved, "He wasn't right for me. And now I get to tell him that tonight."

"Thank God I'm a guy."

"Yeah, instead you get to tell girls that you don't like them. And the they'll cry and cry and cry."

"Ooh good point." We laughed. But, it ended quickly. He knew I had to leave.

"I should probably get back. They are most likely worried."

"Yeah, I'll see you tonight?"

I nodded, he grabbed my hand, lightly pressed his lips against it, and left again.

I stood there, in awe for a few moments. I didn't want to go back into reality.