Chapter 1

Bullseye. The men cheered and booed, while the women did a ladylike clap. I attempted to try this clap to look older.

It was the most important game of the season. The Bow and Arrow Shooting Finals. Many people of the town came out every year for this particular event.  

I sat there dreaming about the day that I could grab a bow-and-arrow and shoot at the target. But my mom said that even though I was 6 now I had to wait till I was older. And since I was a girl who knows how long it would be. I looked over at my mother who was talking with some of the other mothers of the young ladies just below. Many of the young ladies were admiring the handsome young men and gossiping. But, there were a few watching the game or not interested at all. My sister, who was 16, was looking at a particular man. She told me about how she felt about him the night before. She also told me not to tell anyone about this 'feeling'. His name was Peter. He was tall and handsome with beautiful blond hair that blew in the breeze. His striking blue eyes watched the game with interest like many of the other men. He was broad-shouldered and could easily provide for a family.

Someone then tapped me on the shoulder. I looked over and sighed.  "What do you want now, Noah?"

"Just to tell you how ridiculous you look in that dress. It makes you look even shorter than you are.''

I stuck my tongue out at him, and he did after me. "Well, I can tell your wearing your mothers clothes. They look big enough to be a dress. They also make you look shorter than me. Must be embarrassing to be shorter than a girl who's younger than you,"I looked at him and straightened my back feeling proud of what I just said.

"Priscilla, thats enough!" My mother said to me. 

"Yeah, Priscy," Noah threw in that last remark and then marched off to his father and mother.

"Mom," I wined, "Don't call me Priscilla. Then he calls me Priscy. Call me Celia."

"You should be proud of your name. You got it from your great grandmother, wife of the one who founded this city. She was tough and didn't let people treat her like some women who couldn't do anything. When your father and I saw you, we knew it was the perfect name for such a beautiful face."

"Yeash, by the time I'm 16 and holding that bow-and-arrow I'll have memorized that speech."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I held up the bow-and-arrow to my face and aimed at the target. I released it and the arrow went right to the center. "Priscilla, you should be proud of your name," I mimicked my mother while aimlessly pacing with the bow in my hand, "It was your great grandmothers name. She did not let people push her around. Thats how she became the wife of the founder of this city. When your father and I saw you , we knew it was perfect." I stood and aimed at the target again,"Why couldn't she have given me a name like my sister, Elizabeth. Its such a beautiful name." I let go and the arrow went to the right of the other arrow.

"Probably because your not your sister," my friend Anna said, "You do not like the status quo life or being at the top of the 'popularity chain. You prefer being who you are and proving how talented women are."

  "  Ugh, I'll memorize that phrase too," I sat down on the grass and started picking at it.

"But, seriously I think your overreacting," I glared up at her. She really didn't know what happened

. "I was walking by a bunch of boys at the market and my mother called my name and they laughed. I had almost made it by without them noticing, too. Then a boy came up to me and said, 'Nice dress,' held my chin up while I avoided eye contact, 'Pretty face too. Too bad your names Priscy.' Then walked off and laughed with his friends who thought what he said was amusing."

"Those stupid boys,'' she huffed, "They know nothing. Their idiots. They said that my dress didn't match my face and that I should be wearing rags instead. Then a gentleman looked me over two seconds later. They know nothing."

"I guess, but ever since I was 6 I tried to get my mom to call me Celia."

"Well, I call you Celia," Anna sat down beside me on the grass.

"Yes, but you don't yell my name across the market."

Suddenly Anna stood up. I looked up at her confused as she started brushing off her dress quite fast. I turned around to see Noah coming over and stood up to make sure my dress didn't show anything that shouldn't.

"Hello, Noah," Anna curtsied. 

"Hello Anna. Nice to see you Priscy. Still wearing those dresses that make you look shorter I see."

"Nice to know you've matured since we were 6," I fired my bow and it went straight through the first, "Now if you don't go away that arrow will be you."

"Relax Priscilla. I was just coming to grab my sheath, I left it here yesterday," Noah walked a few feet and grabbed it up from the grass.

"You leaving now?!?" I shifted my weight onto my left foot.

"Only 'cus your here,"

"Good-bye your majesty," Anna curtsied again and Noah bowed. I scoffed. Noah walked away back to the palace.

Anna being used to our little arguments, continued talking. But, changed the subject to try to make me feel better. "Are you going to the dance tonight?"

Wrong question. "Yeah, unfortunately. Speaking of which I should probably go get ready before my mom finds out I'm not currently"

"Sorry to make you grumpy. I'm excited. I got a brand new dress, new pearls, new shoes," she twirled around, her golden, wavy hair twirling with her magenta dress," its going to be fantastic!"

"I seriously got to get going."

"Fine, instead of describing my new outfit, I'll let you see it later grumpy pants." I loved Anna. But being my best friend she knew that when I left so suddenly, or tried to, it meant something was up. Today was just not a good day. Prepare for embarrassment.