; two ;

Dan furrowed his eyebrow as he wiped down the counter tops of his step mom's diner, getting very annoyed with a particular stain that would not come off. After the third attempt, he abandoned the counter after someone called him over to their table, complaining about the lack of air conditioning in their spot. He smiled politely, secretly cursing him in his head, before leaving and cranking up the temperature. He was about to serve a platter with sliders to a couple in a the far corner when the bell above the door made a noise more than once, signalling a few newcomers. He gulped, practically power walking towards the table and placed the plate down without another word. He entered the kitchen doors and pressed himself against it, breathing out a puff of air. The staff all gave him a funny look.

"What are you doing?" Their dishwasher, Tom, asked from his place in front of the sink. Dan blinked a few times before standing straight, realizing how ridiculous he must look.

"A bunch of kids from school are here." Dan shrugged, trying to not make it a big deal. Clearly, this group of people he was hiding from were a big deal. Tom nodded, before getting back to work. Dan was contemplating getting back outside or hide in the freezer when the kitchen doors open, revealing Lana. She was the manager of the establishment, and a better mother than Rachel could ever be. She caught Dan's eye and immediately he felt limp, wanting to hide from everyone.

"Honey, we need a waiter out there." She spoke, patting Dan's head despite of their great height difference.

"But I-, they're here, Lana." He replied, looking down like a defenseless dog. She immediately knew who he was talking about, enclosing her hand on his wrist. 

"I know, but you have to. Hiding from it wouldn't help in any way, wouldn't it?" She asked, already pulling him towards the doors. He wanted to whine like a kid and hide in their storage room, but his body was already outside the kitchen. He screamed profanities in his head, grabbing a notepad and pen beside the cash register before strolling towards the dreaded table. He hates how he is the only waiter available at the moment. 

"C-Can I get your order?" Dan asked, feeling completely nervous. They all smile at him, probably to infuriate the boy, like they always do.

"Oh hey, diner boy. How are you?" Joe asked, his friend Alfie snickering beside him. Dan can feel his cheeks heat up, and an unpleasing feeling in his stomach. He feels nauseous just by standing next to these people, and he feels like they just come here to antagonize him. The group picked up their menus, ignoring Dan for a solid two minutes. The annoying sound of gum smacking can be heard from a girl beside Phil Lester, who was silently scrolling through his phone.

"I'll have an Iced tea." the girl, Carrie, smirks at Dan, and he just wrote the order down without another word. He stares at the others, waiting for their orders and anticipating some insults as well. Phil looks up at Dan, and back at his phone. "I'll have a water." He says. Dan just nods and writes it down.

They all order their drinks and Dan left the table with a sigh, happy that it was over. He gave the orders to the cook, and sat down behind the cash register, trying to act like he doesn't exist, while the group of people he is intimidated with are having a fun conversation. He just wish he could be treated with respect.

-

"The school dance is coming up, have you all got a date?" PJ asked, putting down his phone for once and stares up at his friends.

"Um, duh?" Carrie points at Phil, but Phil just rolled his eyes in response. It was a good thing that Carrie didn't see it, but PJ did. Peej knows about Phil's confusion with his sexuality. Since he found out about Phil's secret companion in an odd chat room, and how it was a boy, he has been hinting that Phil had a few buds that he needs to blossom. It was a secret, and Phil strictly said that it was prohibited to tell anyone else in particular. The only one that knows is PJ, and Phil would lose his mind if any other person in his group of 'friends' find out.