Chapter XVI

An awkward silence followed after me and Adrian's long talk. We didn't say a word for what seemed like an eternity. "So, uh, pizza now?" I asked. His story with Rose had been long and upsetting. It was worse than what happened with me and Liam. 

"Sure," he said, "But I'm ordering." Then he yanked my cell phone out of my hands. I didn't say a word. I just sat on the couch and thought about it, his story.

Adrian had been smitten with Rose for a while, and apparently, she had previously been involved with Dimitri, her teacher. It was weird. Rose and Adrian had paired up after he mishap with Dimitri but she had never gotten over him. When he had been Strigoi, she tried to kill him at first, and then, realizing there was a way to turn him back, she tried that instead. So when Dimitri was back, Rose left Adrian. Now, Rose was with Dimitri. Forever.

The suckiest part?

Adrian had loved Rose. Really and truly.

Adrian had been through so much...he just wore his playful personality like a suit of armor. He was someone different when he told me that story. He was sensitive and unique and...nice. I smiled to myself. Adrian Ivashkov really wasn't that bad.

"It'll be here in about 15 minutes, maybe 20," Adrian reported, emerging from my room. I hadn't noticed he made the call in there. 

"Adrian, I'm sorry about what happened to you," I said softly.

"It's no big deal...and don't get all mushy on me," he said, and lit one of the cigarettes I bought him. He was trying to remain happy-go-lucky. I had to admit his sunshiney personality made people smile, but made some girls scowl. I giggled to myself. That had rhymed.

"I hope you don't mind, but I ordered some wings too," he mentioned casually.

"Do you know how expensive wings are?" I asked, my heart thumping. I didn't have a lot of money and using a credit card made the bills pile up really high. 

"Relax, you know I'll pay you back," he said. He had completely lightened the mood after his depressing life story. "In fact, I'll pay you back right now," he said, and grinned, puffing out some smoked. I coughed and my jaw dropped. 

"YOU HAD MONEY ON YOU THE ENTIRE TIME?!" I cried. Now I was angry and he was in for it. My temper had been pretty well under control but this was the limit. 

"No," he said. "Just sit, you'll appreciate this much more," he said. I shuddered. Was this rape? No, no, no Emma...don't jump to conclusions.

He pushed my down onto the couch and his face hovered in front of me. Oh God. I didn't feel this way about him, did I? Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. Adrian put his hand on my broken leg for a few seconds and I swear to God, I was about to slap him before he began taking my cast off.

"What the heck are you doing?" I asked, trying to push him away from me without hurting him. 

"You don't need you cast anymore...or your crutches," he said cooly.

"You're joking," I said, laughing wryly.