Chapter 1

I was doing my usual morning chores, at the lake gathering water. I found the whole process magical as the water twists and shimmers in the raw morning light as it flows into the water bucket. I love that I can shape the water with my hands- as either a defence or an attack- and feel a wave of calmness pass through my mind. 

I wanted to see the full extent of my power within, and moved my hands in strong circles, closing my eyes and imagined it happening. And when I opened my eyes again- a massive wave the size of the lake was rolling toward me as my hands continued to twist and dance with each other. I smiled to myself and let my palms slowly face the ground, releasing the water and letting it continue its constant dance as it laps over my feet.

I heard a laugh erupt from behind me. "Is that all you have to give? I can do much better in my sleep!" Jodie joked behind me. I felt like crying. I normally like Jodie, with her manly take to life- but sometimes her belief of being better angers me.

"No, Jodie. It was not my best. I would like to see how a breeze can intrude a strong waters path." I replied, and flicked my wrist to bring a wave of water to her. But instead of soaking her- a bubble of air formed around Jodie, and she then pushed the air toward me... sending the water with it. However, my reflexes were fast as my heart pumped and I tried to settle it to match the beat of the lapping water- I twirled my hand to make the water being pushed to me form a shield. I then let it drop into the lake. "I don't want a fight with you, Jodie. But we are all in this messed up quest together. It's better for everyone if we just get along.”

“Kara, sometimes you really do set me on my feet. You’re right, fighting is useless.” She let the air go. “Sorry, I’m a horrible person,” She finished, looking really and genially sad.

“It’s okay Jodie. Shall we get back to the others?” I suggested as I picked up the water vase, wishing I was still controlling it. Jodie nodded in agreement as we set off for base.

                                                                   ~   ~   ~

Jodie and I entered the forest clearing, thanks to Natasha and Damon, in comfortable silence. Straight away, Jodie left to practise her element. But I then noticed that there was people missing. What the hell had happened?

“ZACK!? Natasha?! Damon! Luke?” I called them but only Luke appeared. “What’s happened?” I asked, touching his arm in a sign of reassurance and friendship.

He then replied with a straight face and monotone voice: “The King of this land came, and said that three of us have to go to the palace and explain our reasons for being here. I said that you and Jodie were at the lake- so Natasha and Damon offered. Zack being Zack, he went too. The King said that they will be back at dusk, and do not intend to harm any of us.” At the end of this, he sighed and waited for my reaction.  But it didn’t come; nothing came out of my open mouth. But, before I knew it- anger filled every cell in my body. My hands were everywhere, on my head, pulling my hair, clenching together, before finally thrusting to make every drop of water in the tents and vases to burst up to show my anger. It was like explosions to represent my head! Why did everything have to go wrong when I wasn’t here!?

Luke then put both hands on either side of my fuming face, and used his telepathy to calm me. And boy, did it feel good.

“Luke, stop. Feeling... good.” I managed to say through the soft pillows inside my head that were preventing coherent speech. He removed his hands, and gave me a friendly smile before going to get rid of the broken vases. Just to make sure, I got all the water from the ground and put it in the one remaining jug- before leaving some for myself to move around in a ball as I thought.

                                                                          ~   ~   ~

Pacing across the clearing, I thought of what the hell we should do when they get back. What are they telling him? Why is he asking them now, not the years ago when we moved here? What if we have to go? What if they don’t come back? Will he find out who we really are? Who is this King? All these thoughts swirled up in my head; but the calming cool water turning in my hands kept me from lashing out like earlier. If I hadn’t of gone so early for water, I would have known the answer to those questions. I should be with them.

Natasha can barely keep sane for more than two minutes before becoming crazy and bubbly. Zack will probably get over protective and end up in prison for setting the castle on fire, and Damon will most likely not be able to keep them both under control. Me and Luke should be there- being the only real level-headed people in our small group. I sighed and let the water join the rest of the surviving liquid.

“Don’t worry. Where’s Jodie? We need to tell her.” I heard Luke ask from behind me again.

I gasped in surprise, “God, stop coming from behind me! Jodie is of somewhere to practise her all mighty element. In a strop, I suppose. I think it’s best not to tell her- she gets stressed.”

“Like you?” Luke laughed- which was a strange sound in a time like this, and also with him never really joining in with the group.

“Yes, like me.” I joked back, but then turned serious, “I think we should clean up and get more supplies. We might as well wait until they get back. It’s no use fretting.” I suggested.

“Yes, but I think you should do the rest. I’m going to read in my tent.” He said, excusing himself with a small bow and retreating to his tent.

I looked at the mess and suddenly found myself regretting the whole water explosion.