Chapter 14 - Torture and Other Pastimes

NZ Music for this Chapter - Midnight Youth - Just for Once

Chapter 14 - Torture and Other Pastimes

Joel’s eyes flashed back to me.  I was laughing at Gavin.  I had just taught him the fine art of Paper-Rock-Scissors and he was arguing that the rock would beat both the scissors and paper if one used enough force. 

The grin fell from my face.

“Trust me, she’ll be fine,” Lyle’s smile was gentle and reassuring as he patted Joel on the back.

OK, what were they up to?

Joel grimaced, “I have no choice but to trust you.  I just don’t like it,” his eyes flashed back and caught mine.   He ran his hand through his hair and walked over to me, “Cissy, I have to do this.  I have to try to master the UGOD by this evening.  I have six hours to do it.  Otherwise we will have to wait until tomorrow night.  I can’t risk that.  If I have any hope of doing this I have to concentrate.  I have to have no distractions.  Lyle has promised me that Mark will protect you.”

“Protect me from what?”

“Hey, I can babysit her,” Gavin slung an arm around me, “Although, I know nothing anything about sitting on them but I do know what goes into making them!”

Joel took a deep breath then ignored Gavin, “The company is searching, standard procedure is to do random building searches in the hope of flushing out the fugitives.  The only way I can devote one hundred percent of my attention to this is if I know that you are safe no matter what happens.  Please Cissy, do this for me.  Just stay with Mark please.”

“Sure, but will you be OK if they turn up?”

“Lyle is putting me in a hidden room so that nothing will disturb me,” I saw his eyes flinch as he looked back to Lyle.

“Sorry about distracting you this morning,” I whispered as I wrapped my arms around his waist.

“Yes, you are very distracting,” he murmured as he kissed me gently.   “Be careful my love.   Something isn’t right.  I don’t like this at all.”

“What?” I pulled back to look into his eyes.

“Dad said in his letter that the company were looking for some way of tracking us.  He suspected that they had found something.   I don’t know what they are up to but there are people here who would do anything to have an address.  Just be careful...” He kissed me again then looked into my eyes and smiled, “Francis Anderson, umm that sounds good.”

I ran my fingers over his stubble and up into his hair, “It’s Francis King until you get us out of here and get that ring on my finger, Mr Anderson.”

“Well I had better get to work on it then,” he laughed softly and kissed me just as softly.

 Lyle was waiting at the door as Joel reluctantly let me go and stepped away.   But he hesitated at the door as his eyes drank me in.

“Look after her Mark, she is my whole life,” his face showed his pain but before I could react he turned and was gone.

“You know it is a pity that we aren’t in your Dimension Barbie,” Gavin eyebrows twitched and I could see an evil gleam in his eyes.  “It would be hilarious if we made it look like you were riddled with bullet wounds, or maybe turned you into a vampire with the whole sparkly undead thing going on, or maybe...”

“Gavin, how would that be funny?”

“Joel, would freak!” He laughed, “I can just imagine his face!”